8 | Settling In

[𝕯𝖗𝖆𝖈𝖔'𝖘 | 𝕡𝕠𝕚𝕟𝕥 𝕠𝕗 𝕧𝕚𝕖𝕨]

Draco stared back at (Y/n). It took lots of his concentration of Occlumency to keep his thoughts of his mission completely hidden, but he could do so thanks to his training from his aunt. Draco could confidently compartmentalize his thoughts and keep anything concerning his task safe. But he wished he could do the same with all his thoughts pertaining to (Y/n). Any time he would try to grasp and take control of these thoughts resulted in failure. He hated it. Hated himself for being weak.

"How lovely, the brand new American gets sorted into Slytherin," Draco heard Pansy say from across the table.

He tore his eyes off (Y/n) to give Pansy a stern look. He should have known that Pansy wasn't going to make it an easy year for (Y/n).

"Indeed," Blaise said while eyeing (Y/n) like she was a shiny new Firebolt. He grinned at her as he leaned forward and stuck his hand out. "The name's Blaise Zabini."

Draco watched from the corner of his eye as (Y/n) hesitantly reached over and shook Blaise's hand.

"Pleasure," she responded quietly.

"Oh please Blaise," Pansy annoyingly chimed in. "If you're going to lower your standard so severely, can't you do it elsewhere?"

Both Draco and Blaise turned and glared at Pansy who responded by giving, what she must have thought was, an innocent smile but really just made her look constipated.

"Excuse me, but who even are you?" (Y/n) spat.

Draco's ears perked up at the drastic change in her voice. Something he only heard when he pushed her a little too far.

Pansy smirked and crossed her arms, "The name's Parkinson. Pansy Parkinson. But wait— that's right. If someone wasn't such a terrible host, she would have gotten around to greeting all her guests at that pathetic excuse of a party."

Draco took a deep breath in, closing his eyes. Typical bloody Pansy having a go at anyone she felt threatened by. However, no matter how much her hostility annoyed him, he needed to keep himself in check. Whatever happens between Pansy and (Y/n) wasn't any of his business.

"Actually, I got around to greeting all the guests worth meeting," (Y/n) stated.

"Excuse me?" Pansy half shouted, causing a few students close by to turn around and see what was going on.

"Oh you must be hard of hearing," (Y/n) cooed. "I said I met everyone worth meeting. Meaning you musn't be anyone of real importance and probably just showed up to stuff that pug face of yours."

Blaise snorted out a laugh as Draco tried his best to suppress his, finding it difficult to keep the smirk that was so eager to show at bay. Almost all the students within hearing distance broke out in laughter. Pansy's face had turned red as she stood up.