Goodbye Cruel World

Any similarities with names or situations are purely coincidental. I mean no offense to anybody and this story has peen written purely for your entertainment.

Goodbye Cruel World

It had all gotten too much. I stared at the pills in my hand, wondering if I dared to swallow them.

The alternative was much worse. Cruel parents who beat me and treated me as their servant, being constantly bullied at school, having no friends whatsoever. Well, that wasn't completely true. I have one friend, and one friend only.

Her name is Rebecca, and I love her more than anything else ipn the world. I have loved her ever since I had set eyes on her 6 years ago, when we were 11. She's the only reason i refused to commit suicide. Thoughts of her clouded my mind, and my scarred hands put down the lethal pills. Those pills would give me relief. Give me a slow but painless death. End my endless misery. I would end it now if I could, but then she would never know how much I love her...

Friday, 8:30am

I was walking to school wearing my headphones, the music on full blast. If you listened to the music I listened to you would probably go deaf.

Suddenly, a small pair of pale hands knocked my headphones off and covered my eyes.

"guess who!" she said in a sing-song voice.

"oh I wonder who it could be sunshine?"

That was my nickname for Rebecca. She really was my sunshine, but she didn't know it. I started humming The tune of "You Are My Sunshine" to myself.

"Daaaan! I know I do this everyday but you could at least try and be fun. Hey are you humming "You Are My Sunshine"? Surely you haven't been listening to that!"

I stopped humming it at once. She put my headphones on but took them off again almost immediately, pretending the sound had destroyed her ears. She hopped around, screaming "IM DEAF!!!" right in people's faces. That was one of the many things I liked about her. She was never afraid to make a fool of herself, as long as she was happy.

I pulled my sleeves down so she wouldn't see my scars. She hated them. She's only seen my arms. If she saw me shirtless she would probably faint from the amount of cuts I had.

I always cut myself. I wouldn't really call it a hobby, but I wouldn't call it impulse either. I guess the pain and the blood is just a distraction from the agony of reality. Besides, half of my scars aren't even my fault. My parents have left marks after they beat me. Blisters, bruises, and many other things I don't want to mention. I also used to get beat up by people at school. It stopped, but I had to threaten them with a knife. That got me into a lot of trouble, but I didn't care. I rarely cared about things these days...

Becky always asked me why I cut myself. I never replied to her, as I never had a real reason. If I told her that it was a distraction she would probably make me do singing or something stupid like that. To her that is a distraction.

We got to school and went to class. Me and Rebecca had every single class together, but we only sat next to each other in a few of them. Maths, science and art.

We had maths first, which was good, even though I'm terrible at it. Becky tried to help me but I usually end up copying her.

Today's lesson was particualy boring. I imitated our teacher every time he spoke, making Rebecca giggle. Unfortunately our maths teacher had extremely good hearing, so we both got a detention. Becky freaked out, whining about how this would go on her school report and what a bad reputation she would have. I, on the other hand, was quite happy about it. To me it just meant more time with my wonderful Rebecca.