Part 6

Finally. I didnt see why I hadn't done it earlier. Becky had stopped taking to me for a few weeks now. All I got from her were forced smiles when she walked past and the occasional half-hearted text.

I sat in my bedroom, wondering what the best method would be. I held the knife in my hands, pricking my fingers one by one. I slowly dug the knife into each tip, savoring the pain. Soon I wouldn't be able to do this. I dug deeper and deeper, until the blood running down my hands made it too hard to hold the knife properly.

I picked up the note. I read it through, the blood from my fingers staining the paper. At the bottom of the page, using my bleeding fingers, I carefully drew the image that she had taken from me. Me and her, staring into the sunset.

I left the note on my pillow. I picked up the bottle of pills I planned to use. I examined them for a moment, before tossing them to the side. Too fast. Too painless.

Picking up my knife, I went to the bathroom and ran a bath. I didn't bother locking the door. Someone had to find me eventually. Not much point making their job harder. I realized my phone was in my pocket so I put it on the side. It buzzed, but I ignored it. I put my knife next to it.

I stepped into the bath, wincing at the temperature. I submerged myself and waited for a few minutes to get used to the hot water. Once that was done, I reached for my knife. Why wait? The sooner the better.

I sliced down my wrists as deep as I could, opening up the main arteries. I watched the crimson blood as it stained the water. The knife fell from my hands and onto the floor.

My phone buzzed again. A picture of Rebecca flashed up on the screen. I wouldn't have opened the message if I could. I just wanted to stare at her face for the short remainder of my life.

My vision began to blur and darken. I thought how cruel this world was to never give me a chance. I had been an outcast all my life. Nobody wanted me. I blamed myself, but it wasn't me. It wasn't anyone's fault. Just the way the world works.

I stared at the picture on the screen of my phone. Rebecca. My sunshine; my one light in the surrounding darkness. She would be better off without me.

The last thing I saw was somebody bursting through the door. A girl with sandy blonde hair and dark blue eyes. A smile crossed my face as our eyes met for the last time.

Goodbye sunshine.