On the Up and Up (7)

~~~

     "How much longer are we going to have to wait? I feel like we've been standing here for hours!" Clay whined while glancing at the line of people still ahead of them. "What time is it?"

George scoffed. "It's been two minutes since the last time you asked me."

"But I'm bored! We've been here for like three years."

"Quit being so impatient, we're almost to the front."

"Yeah, it'll only be another six months until we actually get there." He complained dramatically.

"Exactly," George chuckled. "Six months is a lot shorter than three years."

Clay groaned and looked up towards the entry gate looming above their heads. Music pulsed through overhead speakers. The air was buzzing with energy, charged by the hollering and laughter of surrounding families. Children giggled and roamed around the theme park carrying sticks of candy floss.

A bright smile spread across George's face as he looked around the park. "Wow, this place hasn't changed a bit," He eyed one of the carts selling churros and inhaled the scent of sugar and cinnamon. "This is exactly how I remembered it."

It was a surprisingly busy day for a cloudy April weekend. The rain and snow flurries had finally stopped and people were taking advantage of the break in the dreary weather. It was only about ten degrees celsius but masses of people still crowded the theme park.

"Look, we're next!" Clay bounced back and forth from his toes to his heels in anticipation.

"That was a fast three months," George joked as he continued to look around the familiar setting.

Clay rolled his eyes and stepped up to pay. He looked at George, flashing him a smile. "I guess time flies when you're having fun."

His stomach flipped as his eyes met Clay's. He shook his head slightly, blaming the fluttery feeling on his excitement. "C'mon, let's go." George grabbed his arm and pulled him through the entrance.

Tall roller coasters towered above the two of them. Clay flicked his gaze upwards nervously and watched as a cart raced across the track.

"Don't tell me you've never been on a roller coaster before," George raised an eyebrow.

"No, I have, It's just..." He trailed off. "Would now be a good time to remind you I'm not the biggest fan of heights?"

George's eyes widened and he gasped. "Oh my God, Clay! Why didn't you say something earlier?"

"I don't know, I wasn't thinking about it before."

"Yeah because you were too busy complaining about waiting in line. But we don't have to ride anything like that if you don't want to." He gestured towards the looping roller coaster.

"Thank you," Clay mumbled softly, his eyes fixed on the ground. A small smile formed on his face. "We probably wouldn't be able to ride it anyway because you don't meet the height requirements."

"You know what? I take back what I just said. At some point today we're going to ride that." He pointed towards a cart speeding along the course upside down.

Clay shook his head wildly. "No, I was just joking! I'm sorry, I didn't mean it."

"Too late, there's nothing you can do to get out of this."

He glanced longingly back towards the churro cart. "Fine. But if I'm going to ride it then you have to buy me something from over there."

"Deal." He held out his hand to shake Clay's. His hands were warm against George's, the contact causing his breath to hitch in his throat.