Let the Waters Rise (20)

~~~

     An icy pang of fear surged through George's veins, paralyzing his body in place. His unfocused eyes flitted over the dark room. Misshapen shadows stretched across the floor cast by the furniture pieces looming above them. The world around him was muted, the long gone sound of pounding against a wooden door still echoing throughout his mind.

     His fingers curled into fists, tightly gripping the bed sheets. He could just barely make out the silhouette of Clay's sleeping body, his arm still loosely draped over George's side.

    The roaring of his heartbeat rang through his head. He forced his eyes closed again and tried to slow his breathing but it was useless. His chest rose and fell rapidly, nails digging into his palms.

     Wisps of unwanted memories floated through his brain, far too quick for him to process. Though George has already forgotten most of the nightmare, he could still remember the figure of his father standing over him. He could still hear him shouting. His loud, gravelly voice invading George's ears.

     Adrenaline rocketed through him, racing thoughts still laced with frigid panic. He wrestled out of Clay's light hold and crawled out of bed, stumbling blindly into the dim hallway towards the bathroom.

     George tried to ignore how wobbly his legs felt as he flicked on the light and slammed the door closed. Brightness filled the room, shadows shrinking back into nothingness. He steeled himself against the bathroom counter and screwed his eyes shut.

     "George?" Clay's sleepy voice called after him, words slurring together. Soft footsteps approached the door. "What are you doing?"

     His eyes shot open at the sound. George tried to respond but his voice was strangled in his throat.

"George?" Clay repeated. Concern leaked into his tone, replacing the confusion it'd held before.

     Fear reignited in George's stomach as he heard a knock thud against the wooden frame. He inhaled a shuddering breath and shakily reached out to open the door. His body immediately sagging in relief upon seeing Clay standing in front of him, worry tugging his lips into a frown.

     Clay's frown deepened as he saw the fearful look lingering in George's eyes. He took a cautious step closer to him, his hand hovering over George's arm. "Are you okay?"

     He nodded faintly, the heavy cloud of memories covering his thoughts beginning to dissipate. "I'm fine, yeah." George rubbed his tired eyes, dragging his hand down his face.

     "Are you sure?" Doubt flickered behind Clay's eyes. "What happened?"

     "Nothing, it was just a stupid nightmare," George's voice was small, his attention directed at the ground. Exhaustion creeped into his body, the fear he'd felt before slowly melting away. He absently traced the faded burn scar below his ear. "I'm fine."

     Clay shot him a skeptical look, gently placing his hand on top of George's and intertwining their fingers. "Was it about your dad?"

     George's body tensed at the mention of his father and he sharply withdrew his hand. "I don't want to talk about it."

     The expression on Clay's face grew apologetic but he said nothing, allowing George to shuffle away from him. Silence pressed heavily against his ears, the air between them suddenly tense.

     "Just forget about it," George swallowed, running a hand through his disheveled hair. "I told you, I'm fine." He brushed past Clay and made his way back to the bedroom.