Stefanos Tsitsipas

Stef’s POV

After the end of the ATP season in late November, three of my friends and I decided to get together to form a really temporary band to play some music, just to relax, mess around, and have fun. Someone would be on the drums, another person would be playing the bass, the last friend would be on the keyboard/synths, while I was erm...kinda forced into singing lol. We would sometimes try to compose our own songs, mostly to no avail, but most other times, we would be doing covers of other people’s songs. One day, another of my close contacts saw on my Twitter account of my "band"’s performance, and DMed me, “Hey, does your band want to perform at (bar’s name)?”

My three friends were ok with that, and so I replied to that person, “Ok, sure thing.”

Yet, deep inside, I was feeling a little conflicted, as that bar was where I had first met my ex. Yeah, she was my first and only love. We had been together for almost four years, and she was always there to support me, even from afar, and cheer me up when I had lost matches. I thought we would be together forever, but we broke up five months ago, shortly before the Wimbledon was about to begin. I was always busy touring, while she was preoccupied with her University studies. Even when we were together, the stress from our daily lives made us snap at each other frequently. One day, we both could not take all the anger and friction between us anymore, so we called it quits.

Shortly after our break-up, she had cut off all contact with me, changing her handphone number, deactivating her email account and even blocking me from following her Instagram (which was a private account). There was practically no way I could reach out to her or find her. From time to time, I still can’t help but miss her though.

The day of the performance at the bar soon came around, and the bar was teeming with people chilling out, having a drink or two, and chattering. My band had set up all our instruments, and we soon started belting out some popular songs. The crowd was energetic and sang along to the songs. Soon, we had reached the last song.

I introduced the song, "I believe some of us here had been through quite painful break-ups with people you had once thought you would spend the rest of life with. Then maybe because they moved to a different place, cut off all contact or for some other reason, you can't reach out to the other person nor see them again. So here's a song by LANY, If You See Her."

[Author's note: please go listen to LANY's If You See Her while you're reading the following part for effect! Thanks :) ]

Just look at us

You'd never bet against our love

Got that kind of thing that lasts

Table for two

She said "for life" so I'm confused

How'd she turn it off so fast

Don't know what she left me for

She won't talk to me anymore

So if you see her

Tell her I'd do anything, I need her

I know I'm not perfect but we were

She says she doesn't love me, don't believe her

If you see her

Maybe today

My phone will ring, I'll see her name

Trying not to hold my breath

It's all a blur

But I remember holding her last

Time that I was in her bed