Part 1 - "The Prince Needs a Bride"

Crown Prince Albert decided to change his favorite quote...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once," - Albert Einstein.

"Everything has happened, all at once," he lamented. "I can't believe my namesake got it so wrong!" He racked his brain to think of an alternate quote... It made his head ache.

Called back from his annual skiing vacation in Banff National Park, Canada, his private jet had a failed engine and he was ensconced in a private lounge in Toronto, waiting for the engine to be repaired or another aircraft made available to complete his flight back to the small European Monarchy of Eltronia.

Albert's father, King Edvard, had suffered a major heart attack and wasn't expected to survive.

There would be a funeral, Albert's mother, Queen Carlotta, had reminded him. According to the Kingdom Law for the Royal Reign, he must choose a bride before he could be crowned king of Eltronia. The fact that his father was critically ill, made a selection all the more urgent.

In a week's time, the 'Quest' his parents had invoked was scheduled to begin. With King Edvard's approval, his mother had announced, "The Prince needs a bride, therefore the Quest has been activated."

Invitations were emailed to all families in the kingdom. The applicants to become the prince's bride must be citizens of Eltronia currently living within the kingdom and who had owned citizenship for the past two years. She must not have been married, divorced or widowed and no older than twenty-five.

"I'm supposed to be skiing," Albert lamented as he leaned forward in the armchair, his elbows on his knees, speaking to the floor.

In a flash, his father's predicament caused tears to spring from his eyes and sorrow to fill his heart. "He can't die... he's too young... I'm too young to be without a father. I'm not ready to be king, I'm just not ready. He must not die! —I don't want to be king until I'm old, at least over fifty... father's only forty-eight..."

"I'm sure they're doing all they can," one of the prince's PAs, Wayne, interjected.

Entering the room, the prince's other PA, Leon, stepped closer to say, "A report has been given on the failed engine and it was found to be a bird strike, therefore it burnt out and needs replacing. It has been decided a new engine is to be fitted. An alternative aircraft is being sought to get you back home earlier. Whichever one is  achieved first, we will be summonsed for takeoff..."

The prince's iPhone sounded.

Prince Albert sat back in the armchair, his head turned upwards, eyes closed. He felt afraid to answer but knew he must. Wiping his tears, he held his phone up and opened his eyes.

His mother's face appeared on the screen and Albert's dread increased. His mother rarely called herself.

He felt his heart beating faster...

"They're going to operate, Albert. It is to be a full heart transplant, Son. Miraculously, an analogous heart is available. The best outcome possible is expected."

"You said they wouldn't do that," Albert blurted, wanting to hope it would save his father, but not able to believe it. A contrary feeling flooded his mind... he felt bereaved already and it hurt... Tears rose again and he hated himself even more...

"They have the best heart surgeon here already. He's from Switzerland. Please Albert, just try to pray. Promise me you'll pray."

An awkward silence ensued before Albert replied, "I promise I'll try. You know it's something I don't believe in, so to whom should I pray? Perhaps to the surgeons?" He heard his mother gasp and said quickly, "I promise Mother, I will pray and I will pray to the God you believe in. I will. I'm sorry... my emotions are all askew... Please have the quest postponed. To choose someone to join our family at a time like this will be too hard... it's a life-changing decision... we have much too much to cope with already..." His mind flew back, years ago when he had suffered loss and no amount of prayer could bring her back to him... it might have been years ago, but right now, that pain returned in a tumult of unwanted feelings...

The silence continued and Albert decided to tell her what was on his heart.

"I'll pray, Mother but prayer never helped me in the past... yes, I will pray, but that the quest will be postponed." He waited. She bowed her head. The screen went blank. His acute hearing caught her smothering soft sobs. He continued waiting, wanting to blot tears from his cheeks but with only one hand free, he kept his head bowed, determined not to turn off the screen.

"Son; your father was definite about the quest. As soon as he was conscious, he decreed that the quest be enacted whether he lives or dies. He said, and I quote, 'The kingdom can do without me but it cannot be without a king with a bride and certainly not with Albert alone.' As you will recall my telling you, we married when your father was just twenty years old. The kingdom is not secure without the hope of at least one heir. And we know you will choose wisely, not just for beauty but to the depth of character she has. The one you choose will be our future queen." She drew a deep breath and continued, "The dates for the quest will remain, even if your father does pass and lies in state until your bride is chosen. Your wedding needs to take place before you are crowned... and, hopefully, our king will survive this and you will have many years to enjoy your soul-mate wife and family before you ascend the throne."

The first word that came to Albert's mind was 'soul-mate' and he wanted to shout, 'My soul-mate is dead!' How could there be another soul-mate for him?

"Albert? Are you still there?"

Albert bit back a protest —a repeat of something he had said several times, that the kingdom could well be changed into a complete democracy —do away with royalty— but he knew his parents and the people wanted to continue with the monarchy. He had been branded as the 'rebel prince' and knew he had no way out; he had agreed, though reluctantly, to take part in the quest to find a bride. But what other choice do I have? —he asked himself.

"Albert, I know you're there. Do keep us informed of the progress with your flight. I love you, Son, and I think of you all the time; I have prayed for you and I will pray for you and your safe return. I will continue to pray that God will give you your soul-mate at this quest, that you will find her early and she will be a delight to your heart. God can do this, Albert. I am praying you will believe it too."