Part 4 - Davina

Davina stopped walking and wrestled with Albert to regain possession of her hand, shouting, "How dare you! Let go! What do you think you're doing? —Who are you anyway, you jerk! Let go my hand now!"

Releasing her hand and shaking his as though it stung, Albert sidestepped in front of her, saying, "I could be Prince Albert and you have just shunned me..." He almost added, 'Fair lady,' but her angry countenance caused her to look ugly.

They stepped away from each other and Albert turned as though to return the way he'd come.

"Wait!" she commanded hurrying after him, grasping the hand she'd rejected before issuing another command, "Let me see you."

Pausing, he bowed to her and kept his head down knowing exactly what she wanted and refusing to give it to her.

"I need to look at you, Sir."

Bowing lower and flourishing his arms outwards, Albert spoke to the ground, "Here I am. You can look at me."

"No, I mean, I must see your face, the shape of it; your eyes for goodness sake, man."

Realising that Wayne had drawn closer, Albert looked up into Davina's face and had to struggle to prevent a smile when her visage became more ugly.

"You're not HIM! Your eyes are brown, Sir. They're brown."

"Oh, you're looking for the Prince are you? Well, why don't you look into that man's eyes?" Albert waved his hand at Wayne, bowing and saying, "Please come closer, Sir. This young lady is interested in you."

Rushing at him, Davina grasped both his wrists before reaching one hand to snatch his sun-glasses from his face. She stared up into eyes which were grey-blue. In a disappointed tone, she said, "You have red hair." Closing her eyes, she shook her head in disgust, turning away from him.

"Please, Sire, take off your wig," Albert ordered.

Rolling his eyes, Wayne shook his head.

Stretching upwards, Davina grasped the curly hair with both hands at the same time Wayne grabbed her wrists. The wig fell on the grass. She howled at him due to shock from his fast movement. "Swine!" she shouted. Recoiling and shaking her body, arms and hands, due to her angst that she might have called the prince such a name, she looked up saying, "Your hair's too dark, it's almost black." Looking at Albert, she queried, "He can't be him, can he?"

"Haven't you heard of hair dye?" Albert taunted, adding, "I'm sure this handsome young man would love to accompany you back to the swings and spend some time there with you..."

Looking at Wayne with pleading eyes, she begged, "Oh, please, Sir, Your Highness, please give me a chance. It would please my mother and it would please me so very much. I love you already, Sire." Batting short blackened eyelashes at Wayne, she took his arm with both hands, trying to swing him around. Stamping her foot she shouted, "Well, be like a brick wall then. Someone had to find you and I'm glad it's me. Please, Your Highness, please take me with you to the swings."

Retrieving his glasses and the wig from the grass beneath his feet, Wayne rose to look at Albert who struggled to keep himself from laughing out loud. It was all the prince could do to give Wayne the slight royal nod. Against his will, Wayne walked away with Davina hanging on his arm, taking long strides to cause her to run to keep up with him. He stuffed the wig in his pocket with his free hand and donned the sunglasses.

Breathless, she dragged on his arm, complaining, "Slow down. I can't take your long steps, Sire. I suppose that man back there is one of your minders?" When he gave no answer, she began narrating what she contrived to be an interesting take on her life's history.