Chapter 2

Chapter 2- Lucy

Oliver Scott Sykes was probably the most gorgeous boy on the planet, not that Lucy would ever boff him. His beautiful chocolate hair and eyes to match could melt even the coldest of hearts, Lucy thought.

At school, there was a fairly big group of girls who would date him, along with several guys. But Lucy knew full well that he only had eyes for parties and the drugs that came along with them. It was a shame, perhaps, but as long as Oli was happy, all was well.

Lucy wriggled out of Oli's grasp to yawn, sitting up. Sunlight filtered in through the window, and Lucy realised with a shock that she had school today. Lucy's phone said it was only ten past six, but the noise of the crying, screaming babies from downstairs was already going on. How on earth did her mother get any sleep?

For a moment, Lucy debated going to the kids' room to help her mum by calming someone down, but glanced back at Oli and found herself reluctant to move. Unlike her half-sisters, Oli neither snored, nor talked in his sleep, which made him her favourite person to take a nap with.

A bold knock on the front door below startled Lucy, quickly followed by a shout of: "Open up! It's the police!"

"Shit!" Claire bolted upright, exchanging a look with Lucy. "They're gonna search the house again, aren't they? Shit, I bet they'll take our phones..."

Used to this by now, Lucy climbed out of bed to shake Amy awake while Claire hurriedly started deleting all her messages with who Lucy presumed to be her cannabis dealer. As none of the girls had a criminal record, it was unlikely that the police would do much digging.

"What the fuck, Lucy? I'm sleeping," Amy complained as Lucy snatched the duvet away from her.

"Police!" she responded, which caused Amy to go into a panic too.

"What's happening?" a bleary looking Oli sat up.

"Police," Lucy repeated, "Crap, you should probably get out of here. Don't you have a record?"

"Vandalism," Oli noted. "Can I use your window?"

"Hang on," Claire interjected, looking bemused, "You haven't got anything dodgy here, have you? We can just say that you were here for a sleepover."

"First day back at school? Coppers won't like that," Oli shook his head. "I've got some fags on me too. And Lucy's underage."

"Sleepover, not a one-night stand," Claire corrected but didn't argue as Oli pushed his way towards the window.

"Use the drainpipe, and don't you fucking dare fall," Amy ordered. "We don't need you trying to get us sued for shoving you out the window or some other made-up shit."

"I would never," Oli grinned, "See you in school!"

"Wait, Oli!" Lucy dashed over to the window, where Oli hovered with one leg out. "Delete all your texts with Danny and block his fucking number. Okay?"

"Sure," Oli smiled. "Chill, yeah? It's all gonna be fine."

Lucy watched until she was sure that Oli had made it to the ground before she started helping her sisters use deodorant to mask the very faint smell of marijuana from when Amy's girlfriend had been over a few nights ago. Pretty soon, the police were at the bedroom door.

"Morning, girls," a familiar voice announced as Claire opened the door. It was Danny's probation officer, who he had to meet with every week. A family friend. Not.

"Hi," a more friendly-looking Asian officer smiled welcomingly, clipboard in her hand. "I'm Officer Yajima, and I was just wondering if we could take a look around? Just a precaution, after your brother's arrest."