chapter 15

The next few days came and went. Tony had spent the entire week doing the crappy jobs that usually fell on the probies. It was Friday and he had spent the entire day trudging through the sewer looking for evidence in the latest crime. Once he had finshed, Tony headed back to the navy yard with his evidence. He turned it into Abby and then hit the showers.

"I hope this smell goes away." Tony said, not wanting to smell like the sewer for his date with Charity that night. He scrubbed and scrubbed, washed, rinced, and repeated several times before he could no longer smell the stench.

He stepped out of the shower and dressed. He looked at his watch and saw that he only had ten minutes before he was supposed to pick Charity up. He pulled out his cell phone and rushed out the door. He dialed Charity's number and waited for her to pick up.

"Hello." came her sweet voice.

"Hello beautiful." He greeted her.

"What's up, Tony?" She asked.

"I'll be a few minutes late. I just left the navy yard."

"Okay, I'll see you soon, then." She said.

Then they hung up the phone.

Charity...

Friday had finally came and Charity stood in front of her closet. She couldn't decide what to wear. She picked out a dress and tried it on. She stood in front of her mirror and thought for a moment. Then she walked down the stairs. "Papaw, what do you think of this dress?" She asked, her grandfather who was setting on the couch.

Jackson Gibbs looked up at her and smiled. "You look so beautiful, cookie."

"You don't think it makes me look like I'm trying too hard?" She asked.

"Of course not." He answered.

Charity bit her lip and then ran back up to her room. She picked out another dress and slipped into it. She walked back down the steps and once agin asked her grandfather's opinion. She repeated this process three more times.

"Cookie, why are you so worried about what you look like? I mean you are pregnant with his baby."

Charity looked at her grandfather. "This is our first date, Papaw." She answered.

"I know, but still. The cat's already out of the bag, cookie."

Before Charity could respond, her cell phone rang. "Hello." She answered.

"Hello beautiful." came Tony's voice.

"What's up, Tony?"

"I'll be a few minutes late. I just left the navy yard."

"Okay, I'll see you soon, then." Then they hung up the phone.

"What was that, cookie?"

"Tony was letting me know he was going to be a few minutes late."

"You're going to go put on another dress aren't you?"

Charity nodded and then ran up the steps to try on another dress.

While she was up putting on another few dresses, a knock sounded on the door. Jackson put down the newspaper he was reading and opened the door. Tony stood on the other side. "Come on in." Jackson said, stepping aside to allow Tony's entrance.

"Thanks. Where's Charity?" Tony said.

"She's upstairs finishing getting ready. She's tried on about every dress in her closet, I do believe." Jackson said with a laugh.