The Choice

Loki stood by his father's throne. He stood looking straight ahead at the large doors to the throne room. He knew what would be coming through them in a matter of minutes, but he wished he didn't. He stood in his best clothes with his helmet and his scepter as he had been told to. He was very uncomfortable and just wanted to get this over with.

"Why must I do this, Father? You know how I feel about this."

"Every king of Asgard must have a queen. With Thor having given up the throne, and me reaching my end, you are next in line. With you resisting choosing one yourself, I have decided to step in."

Loki rolled his eyes. "You've ruled for several years without mother and it appears that nothing has changed about your rule. Why would not having a queen change anything about mine?"

Odin looked pensive as he sighed. "I know you will resist me no matter what I do, but you must try to understand why I make you do the things that I make you do. A queen is a confidant that will help you make your best decisions and keep you from making careless decisions. Something you need more than most at times."

Loki clenched his jaw and felt himself getting hot. His muscles tensed. He took a deep breath. "Thor didn't have to have a queen," he muttered under his breath.

"I beg your pardon?"

There was a bang behind the door before Loki could answer his father. The two exchanged a look of concern and confusion. "You're sure you picked a bride and not a bull for me to fight?" Loki joked.

"Silence, boy. She'll be out any minute."

Loki squared his shoulders just before the door burst open. Two guards followed a woman into the room at spear point with spears up in front of them. She had clearly put up a fight. The woman faced Loki and was looking him square in the eye. He was instantaneously struck by her beauty.

The woman had stunningly tan skin. Her hair was a dark chestnut brown and her gaze was scathing. Her hair was up in an intricate bun and she was in a gorgeous, tight, golden dress with a golden cape accentuating her shoulders that was attached by a thick gold band around her neck. A sweetheart neckline with black piping showed off her stunning features. Her hands were tensed into fists at her side. She was breathing heavily like she had just been fighting. From her expression of anger, Loki guessed she had been.

"Bring her closer," Loki said to the guards.

"Neither of us want that." The woman said as her mouth twitched. Loki smirked. She had a fiery energy about her that was intoxicating. "I believe that I do," Loki said as he started to walk down the golden steps, but Odin put his hand up, signaling him to stay. Loki did this, reluctantly.

The woman shifted her gaze from Loki to Odin. "Allfather, I know that you are an all-knowing god, but who in the name of Hel do you think you are to kidnap me from my training, force me into the dress and all this make-up and parade me out in front of you like an animal?"

"Silence!" bellowed Odin. The woman stepped back with a disgusted look on her face. "Now, my child. I am not here to spectate you. You may very well be the new queen of Asgard. That is up to Loki." The woman's gaze shifted back to Loki. He started to walk towards her once more. "What is your name?"

"Brunhilde of the Valkyrior." She said with pride. Loki smirked. "You're a Valkyrie?" he asked. "I was not expecting that in a bride." Truth be told, Loki was not expecting anything in a bride, but he wasn't going to say that. If a bride was what he needed to rule Asgard, he would take that deal. Sure he would not pay his bride any mind, but if Odin said that was what he needed to qualify to be eligible for king, that's what he would do.

"Well good, because I'm not your bride."

"I'm afraid you don't have a choice." Loki said. A muscle in Brunhilde's jaw twitched. She drew in air through her nose heavily.

"Does she please you, Loki?" asked Odin. Loki looked Brunhilde in the eyes. She was strong and fierce, and yet, there was a tinge of fear to her eyes. A tinge of hopelessness. Loki knew deep down that he shouldn't choose this woman. Having a luxurious life where she never had to do anything would be a form of imprisonment for this young woman. But still, his ambition outgrew his mercy. There was also something about this woman. Something intriguing. Something he wanted to explore. Her fiery nature only drew him closer to her.

Finally, after many thoughts, he murmured, "Take her to her new chambers."

Brunhilde's eyes flashed. There was rage and fear and dread all at once. She began to charge, but the guards quickly surrounded her. She froze, standing with five spears pointed at her face. She looked up at Loki. Disdain and hatred loomed on her face. Odin waved his hand.

"Take her away."

The guards moved in on her and took her arms. She struggled, fighting like her life depended on it. "No!" she hollered. She gave several of the guards injuries that left them unable to fight and cast to the side. Loki grinned a malicious grin at seeing her tenacity. Only when a spear was thrust at her throat did she stop fighting. She knew she could not fight weaponless against the many guards around her, all of whom had spears and daggers.

She looked up at Loki one more time with a fire of hatred in her eyes before two guards holding her arms pushed her along. She was then taken down a hallway where her room would be. You could hear the click-clack of her heels amongst all of the guards boots.

When they could no longer hear the loud noise of the many pairs of shoes on the shining floor, Loki turned to his father and said, "I think that went quite well, don't you?" Odin put his hand up to his face to wipe it. "My son, I know that you are not going to take this as seriously as I want you to no matter what, but please try. I didn't just choose Brunnhilde because she is beautiful. I chose her because I think you two will find each other enjoyable."

"Taking her from the thing she loves and making her feel like it was me who did so probably wasn't the best way to make her like me." Loki said. Odin gave him a look of sterness and sighed. "I cannot make you do anything, but please just...try. Spend some time with her. Be kind to her. Please. If not for me, for your mother. She always wanted to see you find someone."

Loki lowered his gaze and his expression softened. "Alright. I still don't think this is a good idea in any way, but I will go talk to her." Odin nodded at this. "Excellent."