Chapter 6

Outside the rain continues to fall and lightening cracks across the sky so loud, I'm afraid it might split it open. I sit in front of the windows as Kian sleeps and watch my breath fold across the glass and disappear. Every time Kian rustles I turn and look at him with a smile, but this time when he moves I don't. That is until I hear the sound of a phone's camera.

"Did you just take a picture of me?" I ask turning around.

"I had to. You look amazing."

"Don't post it on anything." I whine.

"Too late. I'm going to."

"Kiaaaaan." I stand and lay across his stomach. He lets out a groan and grabs my waist rolling me around. I let out a small squeal and he nestles his head into my neck like a puppy.

"Kai?"

"Yeah?"

"I want you to stay."

"I will. I have no reason to go."

"No. I mean stay here. With me."

"I'm here. With you." I laugh confused.

"No, in La Jolla. Stay here."

"Kian, that's kind of a big deal. Everything I have is back up Napa."

"But you have us. Daniel, Eli, Emilee, Josh, and me." He smiles.

"I know, but..."

"I mean and its not like you have to go to school next semester."

"Yeah... I just can't Kian. I'm sorry. I mean yeah, I have you guys, but I hardly know you."

"So get to know us." He says. "Get to know me." He pulls me closer and rests his forehead against mine.

I am quiet for a bit.

"Whats your favorite food?"

"Pizza. No doubt." Kian says looking up without missing a beat.

"Favorite band?"

"Bastille."

"Favorite song?"

"Laura Palmer or Icarus."

"Favorite place?"

"Hawaii."

"Where?"

"Maui."

"Maui? Really?" I ask. "have you been to Blacks Beach?"

"I have, but Maui is my favorite."

"Why?"

"The surf and the turtles."

"Understandable."

"Now answer me all those questions." Kian says.

"Lumpia, Imagine Dragons, Nothing left to say, Hawaii, Blacks Beach, and because of the water and the sand."

"Interesting." He says. "There now we're best friends and you have to stay."

"So tell me. What do you want to do?" I ask ignoring his statement.

"Really want me to answer that?" He asks raising an eyebrow.

"Not right now. I mean with your life. What's your plan after summer?"

"We're going to Hawaii. Daniel, Eli, Josh, Emilee and I. We are going to surf every day and live free. Then we'll travel. It's been our dream since elementary school."

"Together?"

"Yeah. We have been friends for almost 13 years. Met them in first grade. Josh and Eli in sixth."