Chapter Six

When Carmen woke up the next morning, her attempts to peel her eyes open were made more difficult by the fact that she had forgotten to remove her eye makeup the night before.

After stumbling to the bathroom and thoroughly washing her face, she reapplied some basic makeup, packed a smoothie in her bag, and scrambled out the door. Technically, when she left her apartment, she still had time to make it to the workout on time. But her brain and body felt like they were running on empty, so she moved slowly as she dodged cars she normally would have easily beat across the street.

When Carmen finally made it in to work, she was greeted by Miranda, "Woah, you look like you've been hit by a truck."

"Thanks, Miranda," Carmen didn't stop herself from rolling her eyes, but Miranda just ignored it.

"Have you seen Amy?" Carmen attempted to change the subject.

Miranda huffed at Carmen's lack of polite reply, but she pointed in the direction of the change rooms. "I think she went to put her bag away."

"Thanks," Carmen wished her legs would move faster as she searched for Amy.

When she finally made it to Amy's door, she tapped lightly and didn't wait for a response before opening it.

"Amy," she called in before peeking her head around the corner, "I have gossip to dish."

Technically, it isn't gossip when it's true and about yourself, but Carmen knew Amy's thirst for gossip would bring her out if she was anywhere within shouting distance. And Carmen wasn't in the mood to rush around. I wonder if Miranda sent me to the wrong place on purpose.

"Cardio, Miss Morales Castillo," the assistant director, John, shouted as he walked by. "You have twelve minutes."

"I've told you more times than I should have to," Carmen called after him. "It's just Morales."

"That's not what your paperwork says, Miss Morales Castillo," he dragged the last two words out, probably to be annoying. There's no point arguing with people like that. They don't care about what anyone else thinks.

"I'll be right there, Assistant Director," she emphasized assistant. Just because she couldn't argue with him didn't mean she couldn't retaliate a little bit.

John huffed as he turned and walked down the hall, still muttering to himself as he rounded the corner towards the gym.

Carmen waited a minute before heading out, just so it didn't look like John's chastising had worked. She didn't want to give him that satisfaction, even though she was pretty sure that's where Amy was.

By the time Carmen had made her way to the gym, dropped her things along the side wall, and joined Amy on the ellipticals, there was only one minute to spare.

"You are never late," Amy spoke without looking at Carmen. "I'm shocked I beat you here given my choice of beverage last night."

Carmen smiled, remembering Amy's antics last night as they prepared Carmen for her date.

As though she could read minds, Amy snapped her head toward Carmen, "Oh, my gosh! Your date! I can't believe I didn't ask about it sooner! Tell me everything."

"Can you talk a little quieter?" Carmen pointed to her head.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry," Amy pouted, "I'll be careful."

Carmen relayed the events of her date to Amy with as few details as she could, though Amy kept interrupting to ask more questions.

"Can I finish?" Carmen finally asked as she neared the end of her story.

"Go on," Amy allowed.

"So I told him I'd call him today to set up a second date."

"You said what?" Amy was starting to get out of breath. Whether it was excitement or the cardio was unclear.

"I know. Why did I say I would call him?"

"But you hate calling people. I think your exact words were 'I'd rather eat a brick than call you on the phone,'" Amy recalled. "And I'm your best friend."

"I don't know what I was thinking!" It was becoming hard to breathe. "I guess I was thinking I didn't want him calling me."

They got the ten minute warning and were forced to cut their conversation short in order to sprint their last ten minutes. Since Amy was placed in a different group for cool down, it wasn't until the workout was over that they were able to speak again.

"So?" Amy asked as she picked up her bag, "Are you going to call him?"

Heat rose into Carmen's cheeks as she tucked a stray curl back into her bun, "I don't know."

"Carm," Amy whined as she dragged out Carmen's nickname, "I can't believe you."

"We have to grab some breakfast before rehearsal, Amy. I don't have time to call anyone." Carmen picked up her things and took off down the hallway towards her dressing room.

Amy jogged after her, "I mean, did you like him?"

"I don't know," Carmen thought back to the date. It had been nice, but it was just a first date. She barely knew the guy.

Amy rolled her eyes and Carmen shrugged, "I guess I like him enough for a second date. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

Amy ignored the question and gave her friend some advice before heading into her own change room. "If you like him enough for a second date, you're going to have to call him."

She was right. After closing the door to her dressing room, Carmen pulled out her phone and dialed Owen's number. Her hands shook as she waited for him to pick up.

"Hello?"