Chapter Eight

The next day, you encountered Senku in the hallways.

It was just after your favorite class and you were in no rush for your next schedule since you still had a thirty minutes break. It was between those vacant times you would grab a light snack, and maybe look around for Senku if you can.

Fortunately, you were spared of such hardships as soon as his familiar leek hair came to view. He was walking while talking to himself and the other children seemed to stare at him. You couldn't decipher the looks they gave Senku, and you weren't planning on analyzing their faces for too long since Senku was almost out of sight and you were just standing there having a conversation in your head.

You forgot about your slight hunger for some candy, and immediately ran after Senku with a giddy grin.

"Senku-kun, wait!" You call after him. He turns around at the sound of your voice, a look of indifference present on his face. You stopped in front of him, panting slightly. You bared your right palm, a gesture that said 'give me a second' as you tried to regain your normal breathing.

"Wow," Senku said slowly. "You're a real sporty kid, (Y/n)."

You exhaled, before grinning once again. "You were leaving so I had to catch up to you! Where are you going anyway?" You asked, hoping that you could invite him to join you for lunch afterwards. You never once ate with him, just with a few of your classmates that you weren't close with. Most of the time you felt out of place, but you always try to ignore that awkward feeling and just agree with whatever conversation your classmates had. But at least in that way you weren't lonely.

"I was going to the library, but then some kid just had to stop me." He pauses before adding, "It's you, if you're wondering."

You weren't wondering about anything, just bothered by the fact that your talk with Senku would soon be over. "Library?" You smiled. "Can I come with you?"

Senku took the time to stare at you, internally debating whether to take you with him or not. He was a hundred percent sure you would be nothing but a distraction or a source of his annoyance. This internal conversation ensued for more than a minute before his much considerate side decided to say, "whatever. Do what you want."

"Really? Yay!"

Senku had a feeling he was going to regret this decision.

The school library smelled of paper and vanilla.

It was a spacious room containing towering bookshelves from wall to wall, and if you were to stray farther you would end up getting lost. That's why you never frequented the library unless you needed to borrow a book for your homework or school projects.

The young woman at the desk gave you and Senku a friendly smile, before she switches her attention to the novel in her hands. Senku continued to traverse through the library while you followed him, careful not to bump into any bookshelves in fear of knocking them down and having to face the consequences.

While Senku stopped in the science section, you let your eyes wander on the array of books. You began to ponder how many trees were sacrificed in order to create a single book, and if you were even going to read one while you stayed in the library. Maybe you should check out the fantasy section.

"Here, hold this." Senku unceremoniously dumped a handful of thick books in your hands. You almost stumbled to the floor at the sheer weight, but managed to keep yourself balanced.

You puffed your cheeks and glared at Senku, while he dismisses your anger with a wave of his hand. "It's your fault for following me. Come on, I think I see something good over there."