Chapter Ten

"So, what did you want to ask me?"

Senku shifted in his position, eyes downcast but was listening intently. He shivered when a gust of wind blew. The night was cold, he noticed. It was already November, and so far not an inch of snow appeared. But the signs were there, and it wouldn't be too soon when December would come.

Soon, Christmas will wash over the entire city.

He brings his hands together on top of the railings, and you do the same. You tilted your head to look at Senku, wondering. Earlier, you heard someone had knocked on the front door, but your mother was the one who opened it. Senku was there and had wanted to see you, saying that he wanted to ask you something.

It wasn't going to take long, and that it was just supposed to be between the two of you so your mother let you go outside and have your privacy.

But it had already been ten minutes, and Senku still didn't say anything.

"Senku?" You called, and an indescribable look passes Senku's visage.

It had been months since that happened, right? A lot had changed since then, Senku admitted. He could still remember what had happened afterwards. You continued to stay by his side and met Oki Taiju along the way.

He could still remember how your idiocy only amplified its effect on him when combined with Taiju's obliviousness. It was both physically and mentally draining for his wellbeing.

Then again, it was only a matter of time before you would meet him, so it was out of Senku's power to keep you and Taiju from being friends. At least he had another pair of hands to aid him with his experiments. He really needed that extra help.

Many projects were finished together, after a lot of failed attempts and miscalculations. Senku and his little group managed to help Byakuya pass his next astronaut exam by building an electrode swimming suit for him. Senku had felt a sense of pride at that time, knowing that he had helped his old man in some way. Science never failed him. Of course, it wouldn't be possible without you and Taiju.

All of a sudden, Senku was hit with two very conflicting emotions. The other one wanted to deny the contentment he felt, while another part of him wanted to admit that he was having fun spending his time with two idiots.

The former was much more appealing.

"It's almost Christmas." You squealed, looking up at the stars. "Mom and Dad said we would spend lots of time together until New Year. I can't wait for the holidays to come!" You were bouncing on your feet, your smile never wavering when Senku fixed you with a bored look.

"I'm excited for all the snow and stuff, too," he drawled disinterestedly. "We can have snow ball fights and hot cocoa every day."

"Really?"

"I'm spending the holidays studying, you knucklehead. This is the perfect opportunity to learn more about Science." Senku grins. "I intend to multitask by exploring Biology too."

"But Senku, don't you want to spend time with us? With me and Taiju?" You asked, frowning. "I know Science is important, but I want us to hang out without working on your experiments."

Senku looked offended, so you saw the need to elaborate. "I-I mean your experiments are fun, but I just want us to hang out aside from working together and all that stuff. Usually, you just invite me and Taiju whenever you need help. Don't you think you should take a break?" You said slowly, rubbing your gloved hands together.