Chapter 7: Journey to Atlanta

Third Person's POV

Before they started their journey to Atlanta, Rick had one more thing to do. He drove back to where they first saw the half-body and told Sadie he'd be right back. And after a few minutes, he was. Then they started their journey.

They drove toward Atlanta and after a few minutes, Rick decided to try the CB. "Broadcasting on emergency channel. Will be approaching Atlanta on Highway 85. Anybody reads, please respond. Hello. Hello. Can anybody hear my voice? Anybody out there? Anybody hear me, please respond." Rick kept trying, but there was never any response.

After a while, they were getting close to Atlanta. But then they ran out of gas. Rick pulled down the sun protector and grabbed a picture that was there. It was him and a woman and a young boy.

"That Lori and Carl?" Sadie questioned and Rick nodded. "Yeah, that's my wife and my boy." He answered and Sadie pulled her picture of Daryl and Merle out of her pocket and showed it to him.

"That's my daddy. His name's Daryl. And that's my Uncle Merle. My daddy's a little rough around the edges, but once you get to know him, you'll find that you've never met anyone with more loyalty or heart.

"Uncle Merle's a little different. He's much more than a little rough around the edges and he's rude and arrogent, and honestly a bit of an asshole, but he really does care about his family. I love them and miss them." Sadie explained to Rick and he squeezed her shoulder lightly. "We'll find them." He told her comfortingly. "I know." Sadie nodded.

Sadie and Rick put the pictures of their families in their pockets and then got out of the car. Sadie grabbed her bag and put it on her back while Rick grabbed the bag of guns and a fuel container.

Then they started down the road. After a while of walking, they came upon a house. "Hello? Police officer out here." Rick called out as he dropped the bag at the end of the driveway. "Can I borrow some gas?" Rick called out as he and Sadie started walking towards the house.

Then he set the gas container down and they went up the steps of the house. "Hello? Anybody home?" Rick knocked on the door as Sadie walked across the deck to look in one of the large and slightly open windows.

There were flies buzzing around inside and Sadie moved to look further in. On the wall, written in blood, read, "God, Forgive Us." On a chair beneath the writing was a man who had blown his brains out. And on the floor was a girl, who had also been shot in the head.

"I don't think anybody's gonna answer, Rick." Sadie spoke and Rick came over to see why. Once he saw, he backed up a step and put his hand to his mouth, trying to keep down his breakfast.

They came down from the deck and Rick sat down on the edge of a fountain, trying to forget the image that he had seen. That's when he noticed a vehicle near them. So he and Sadie went to go check it out.

Sadie opened the passenger seat door and looked on the seat and in the glove compartment for the keys while Rick checked in the ignition and above in the sun protection shield. No luck.

They were just walking away from the vehicle when they heard a neighing. They looked over to see a horse. Sadie and Rick glanced at each other, both thinking the same thing.

So Rick went to go calm and guide the horse while Sadie went to the stable to grab the saddle and all the gear they needed for the horse.

Soon, Rick brought the horse over and they got it all set up. Rick went to grab the bag of weapons and when he got back, they loaded onto the horse. Rick got on first and Sadie climbed on behind him. They had all they needed: the bag of weapons, Sadie's bag, and each other.