Collins - 'Too Much'

"'This is your victory! It is the victory of the cause of freedom in every land. In all our long history we have never seen a greater day than this. Everyone, man or woman, has done their best." Churchill called out in happiness, as the whole neighbourhood crammed into your parents house. "Everyone has tried. Neither the long years, nor the dangers, nor the fierce attacks of the enemy, have in any way weakened the unbending resolve of the British nation. God bless you all."

Some cheered. Some cried with happiness and sadness. Some were silent in their gratefulness as it was announced the war had finally come to an end.

"He will be coming home to us at last." Jacks mum grinned, hugging you as she squealed with joy and happiness.

You and Jack were engaged and it has even a tough four years for the both of you, seeing each other on and off. Both of you decided you weren't going to get married until the war was over, so you could have a wedding where everyone you knew could attend.

"I wonder when he will come back." Your mother came, hugging you and kissing your head.

"Hopefully soon." Jack's father added, while the others giggly thought when he would get home.

It was starting to make you feel very claustrophobic, feeling everyone around you and how excited they were - you were excited, but it was all overwhelming.

"You have to start planning it all, then when he arrives we can see you both tie the knot." Your mother squealed, with your soon to be mother in law agreeing with her.

"Oh yes, we need to get the flowers and the dress-" She continued.

"Oh the dress!" They both gushed together and you were getting more and more overwhelmed.

"What church are we going to have it at?"

"The one on the corner for sure, it is so much nicer."

"No, I prefer the one in the village just 5 miles from here."

"No, that is too far away."

"But it is so much more prettier."

"True but-"

"Enough!" You shouted, making everyone turn to face you. Not wanting to talk about it anymore, you ran out of the house and headed towards the rowing lake - a place that was special to you and Jack for many reasons.

Sitting on the grass, you brought your knees to your chest and sobbed into your knees. Not seeing Jack for years had slowly torn you piece by piece. The two of you had written to one another all the time, but you were afraid his feelings towards you might have changed. It worried you.

*

5 days later...

"Mum I don't want to talk about it!" You calmly spoke, trying not to get angry at your mum.

"You can't keep running off Y/N" She huffed, folding her arms and standing in front of you. Grabbing your coat, you walked past her and went to the door. "What is it that is bothering you so much."

"Why is it so hard, for you to just leave me be?" You cried out, running a hand through your hair frustratedly. "Do you know how hard it has been for me? For your fiancé to be out there, facing death everyday? I will only be the same woman as I was when he has come home."

Tears streamed down your face, as you look towards your mother and puts a hand on the doorknob. Shaking your head, you walked out of the house and slammed the door shut.

Walking back to the lake, you sat down on the grass and started to pick at it as you watched the ducks swimming around. A pair of ducks came out of the water, one male and one female. They waddled over and sat down not too far away from you.

"Why isn't my life as simple as yours." You said allowed, watching them cuddle up to one another. "Now you are just making me jealous."

"I know I have been away for a long time, but I didn't realise ducks were able to speak back." The familiar Scottish voice chuckled from behind you. Turning around quickly, your hair blows across your face and blocks your vision.

As you wipe your hair away from your eyes, in that split second, you pray that you are not imaging his voice. You finally brush your hair away and see that you were definitely not dreaming.

"Oh-" You cried out, standing up and running to him.

He stands there with open arms and picks you up as soon as you fall into him. Spinning you around, the two of you cry out with happiness and you are completely beside yourself with joy. Leaning down, you pressed your lips against his as you clutched to him, one of his hands went to the back of your hand and made the kiss more passionate.

"Oh Jack!" You breathed out, leaning your forehead on his. "Please tell me this is real. Please tell me your real."

"It's all real my darling. I am here." His breathing was irregular from our kiss, which only made you smile more - having taken his breath away.

"I have waited so long for this moment." You grinned, still being held in his arms.

"Me too beautiful." He whispered, pressing his lips gently against yours again. "But I am back now."

"Life hasn't been the same without you." You grinned and he put you on your feet.

"I have heard about the last week, how distant you have been with your family." He looked to you concerned and worried.

"You have seen my family?" You asked and he nodded his head.

"I came to find you." He began, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. "Your mum told me that you haven't been yourself."

"Everyone just kept bugging me about the wedding, but I didn't know what you would want to do and I was scared that-" You started but he cut you off.

"I want what you want." He smiled. "We could get married in a mine and I'd be over the moon."

"A mine?" You teased and he scoffed, rolling his eyes with a grin across his face.

"Okay, maybe not a mine-" He laughed, making you giggle. "But you know what I mean."

"I do." You gently smiled, running a hand through his hair and admiring his face.

"Now lets go get married." He smirked, dragging you with him and back to your parents house.