16. A Warm Embrace

"Order, order! Silence in the court." The judge hits the gavel on the wooden base after watching the video. "Kim Haneul may proceed to the witness stand." He orders, fixing his spectacles.

Haneul walks to the stand with a smile on his face, albeit a bit nervous about answering the questions.

"How did you get a hold of this video?" The prosecutor asks with a frown and Haneul hums in satisfaction since his winning chances dropped considerably.

"I honestly don't know, the flash drive was at my doorstep in the morning."

The prosecutor eyes him, his lips pressing into a thin line. "If you're hiding anything from the court, it's obstruction of law and you will be punished. So, I suggest you speak the truth."

"I'm telling you the truth! I received a random message saying they had what I wanted and I found the drive today." He pulls out his mobile and shows them their conversation. He plays a blurry video of the crime scene. "They never really replied after that."

"Okay, you can go back."

Jihyuk stands facing the judge. "The video is a clear indication of my client's innocence. Him stabbing the victim was an act of self-defense and an accident, nothing more."

The judge stays silent for a few minutes before announcing his decision. "The jury requests the authorities to verify the video's authenticity and its content before the last trial on 29th September."

The court disperses and this time Dae Ho is smiling when Haneul bids him farewell, a newfound hope in both their hearts. Unlike the previous times, they wait for the next trial to commence.

It's been an ordeal neither of them had believed they would go through. But it's an experience that has increased the trust the two have for each other. The prior doubts Dae Ho had about Haneul wanting to know only about his past were diminished already but now he's confident in the bond they've formed.

The day they eagerly wait for ends when the judge picks up his own.

"After deliberation of the evidence and facts presented to us," the judge starts, "the detective in charge is requested to investigate the individuals present in the video and defendant Park Dae Ho is found not guilty!"

Dae Ho lets out a breath he's been holding, his hands almost shaky due to the judge's words. His heart beats faster and his legs give out, this time, it's due to happiness, not the fear of spending his life behind bars.

"The court is adjourned." The judge strikes the gavel, everyone in the courtroom stands up when he leaves the place.

Haneul slumps in his seat, exhaustion and excitement reverberating in his body. As soon as he stands up, a body tackles him, the doctor almost losing balance, muscled arms wounding around him.

"Thank you," Dae Ho whispers, "thank you s-so much." He chokes tightening his grip on the other.

Haneul is lost for a moment, Dae Ho has never been a person of physical gestures nor did he ever thank the doctor out loud. This was progress. Haneul pats the other's back with a satisfied smile. "You've done well, very well. Welcome back."

They move apart when Jihyuk approaches them. "Congratulations to both of you."

"Thank you for all your hard work, Lee-ssi," Dae Ho says pulling away from Haneul. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"Just doing my job."

The two friends bow to the older man and exit the courtroom, content and pleased. Dae Ho changes into the clothes Haneul bought him, a pair of white cargo pants and red t-shirt, as if mocking his monochrome style. He shakes his head but wears them nonetheless, Haneul could have his way for today.