3.

After the memorial, Principle Peters decided to give all students and staff the rest of the week off to grieve and process the trauma of losing a fellow Tiger.

I, for one, didn't mind the extra time to be at home, but I couldn't deny the feeling that was building up inside me. My anxiety was through the roof and I couldn't pin-point why.

"Good morning sweetie, did you sleep okay?" my mom asked, placing a bowl of steaming milk in front of me and I grabbed the box of Frosted Flakes before answering.

"A bit."

I picked up my spoon and dug into my meal. A small moan slipped out as the warmth of the milk woke up my insides. It was satisfying.

"Couldn't you be more normal?" Taylor stated, frowning at my breakfast. "Who in their right mind eats hot cereal?"

"Who in their right mind eats apples with salt?" I countered, eyeing her plate.

She fell silent.

"So, what are you kids up to today?" My dad interjected, placing his paper down next to his coffee.

"Eliot and I are going to the carnival, in town, later tonight."

"What a great idea. Honey, we should join in," my mom said. She loved the carnival and from the look she gave my dad, there was no backing out of it.

"Y-yeah...Should be fun."

Taylor and I started laughing at my dad's lack of verve.

"We should all go." Taylor looked directly at me.

"I have to study for my Quantitative Methods test on Monday."

"Jeez, Kay. No wonder you have no friends."

I didn't want to admit it but that phrase did hurt my feelings. Lately, Taylor had been way bitchier than usual and it was starting to get on my nerves.

"Whatever."

What hurt me the most was that she spoke the truth. I was afraid of getting close with anyone.

After breakfast, we all went our separate ways. Taylor went to her bedroom, my mom to the garden, and my dad retreated to the living room to watch Ballers. As for me, I decided on a run.

The sun was warm against my skin as I jogged through the nearby park. I needed to clear my head. With all my guilt suddenly resurfacing, now that Tammy was gone, I needed an outlet to put all my pain. So, I ran faster and faster and faster.

My legs burned under the sudden pressure, but I kept on going. I rounded the corner to the next street and sprinted like my life depended on it. When I finally did stop, I grabbed my knees and tried to steady my breathing, as tears threatened to spill.

I never got the chance to apologize to Tammy for what I did and that guilt had been eating away at my soul, little by little.

"You okay?"