10.

The drive home felt shorter than it usually did. Probably because my mind was so preoccupied that I hadn't realized I was already parked in front of it.

The wind whistled softly as I got out and made my way to the front door of my home.

"Kayla," a voice sounded behind me, making the hairs on the back of my neck stick out straight and I drop my keys.

"You really need to stop doing that."

Detective Carter was leaning against his car, smirking at me. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

I grabbed my things and gently kicked my car door closed. "As you can see, I'm a bit preoccupied."

"I just wanted to apologize for yesterday. You were right. I had no right treating Travis that way. But, you have to understand that I'm just trying to do my job, regardless of how I feel about you."

I froze. "Feel about me?"

Detective Carter looked like he swallowed a lemon, when he realized what he had said. "All I'm trying to say is that I have grown to care about you."

He came closer to me and like a fish out of water, my lips opened and closed, fighting for something to say back to him.

"Detective, I'm-"

"Liam," he corrected and I cleared my throat.

Was this guy for real? I mean, I know trying to figure this mystery out together would bring up some kind of feelings but I wasn't expecting any romantic ones.

"Liam, I'm sorry, but I really do have to go."

When he didn't say anything further, I took that as my cue to keep walking and heard his car drive away.

I had enough things on my plate to even think about another man's feelings for me. Harsh, I know. But that was my reality now. I was literally looking over my shoulders, trying to keep myself from being murdered.

"Kayla, is that you?" My mom's voice rang through the house as soon as I closed the front door.

"Hey mom."

She came through the corner, wiping her hands on her apron. "Did you girls have fun last night?"

I raised an eyebrow at her question. "What?"

"Taylor told me you girls were having a sleepover at Jasmine's."

"Oh! Right." I smiled, walking towards the stairs. "It was fun. We watched the entire Twilight Saga."

"Good. I'm glad. Anyways, lunch should be ready in about thirty. I'm making your favorite," she sang, heading back to the kitchen and I headed to my room, making a mental note to thank my sister later.

Stepping out of my black dress, I turned on the water, in my bathroom. For a while I had forgotten what water felt like running down my skin. I was always on the go so I couldn't remember the last time I had a soothing shower that lasted more than two minutes.

I washed my hair, rolling it up and massaging my scalp as the water activated the froth from my shampoo.

After I thoroughly rinsed the soap off of my body, I turned the water off and stepped out of my tub. My mirror was foggy, so I passed my palm against the reflective surface, revealing my facial features. My dark hair had coiled because I had washed out all the straightener from it, a sight I only get to see once a week.