9

I wake up the next morning with a splitting headache. I try to open my eyes, but have to close them again from the bright light.

After letting my eyes get used to the light, I realize how white the room is. I sit up, noticing the IV sticking out of my arm. I think that's a bit overkill. I pull it out, not bothered by the sharp pain that came with taking it out. My arm bleeds, but I don't care. Where's Kirishima??

I stand up, slightly off balance from the headache and who knows what else. I quickly realized I'm in Recovery Girls office. I hear some people talking outside the side room I'm in. I open the door slowly so as to not make any noise, and listen in on the conversation.

"... and so that's the second time it's happened. I'm worried about him..." It's Kirishima. Another voice speaks up. "Yes, it's understandable why it's such a concern. I've never heard of an expiration date changing..." Recovery Girl states. Great, even she doesn't know what the hell is going on. "But, I will say this. And don't tell Bakugou about this," she says to Kirishima. "I believe pushing his expiration date back is going to kill him."

I step backwards, shocked by what I just heard. It's gonna kill me? I mean, I should've died twice already. So why is this so devastating to me?? I hear crying in the other room. I peak through the crack in the door and see Kirishima crying. I want to go out and help him, but I don't have the guts to face him now. I'm the one making him so sad.

I sit back on the stiff hospital bed, arm still gushing blood. I cover the wound in an attempt to stop the blood, but all it does is cover my hand in blood. I sigh, resting my head in the palms of my hands. This is all too much for the first few minutes of the day.

I've seen people debate what would happen if you somehow skipped your expiration. Those conversations were always short, and filled with nothing but speculation and theories. Nobody knows what exactly happens. But everyone was so convinced that you just couldn't skip it, that you couldn't escape fate. And I thought that, too. But clearly I've been proven wrong.

I hear footsteps coming closer to the room I'm in. I suddenly realized that I probably wasn't supposed to take the IV needle out. I panic, pick up the needle, and attempt to put it back in. I don't want them to know I was listening to the conversation.

But I failed to put it back in. If anything, I just messed my arm up more. Recovery Girl comes in and immediately runs over to me, putting the IV out of my hands. "Young man, what are you doing?! Are you trying to damage a nerve?!" she scolds me. Kirishima comes into the room as well, noticing all the blood on the ground. He frowns, causing me to look away from his face. Recovery Girl takes out some bandages and takes my arm, wrapping the wound I created.

Once she leaves, Kirishima sits next to me. We sit in an uncomfortable silence for a while. "So, I'm assuming you heard us talking." Kirishima says quietly. I hesitate before nodding. He rests his head on my shoulder. "... I'm sorry." he apologizes. I raise an eyebrow. "Why are you apologizing? How could this possibly be your fault?" I ask. He shrugs. "I don't know, I just have this bad feeling that somehow this is my fault." he says. I stay silent. I want to tell him how stupid that sounds, but he's completely believed that this is his fault.

I look down at Kirishima's wrist. His expiration date is his birthday, 10-16. But this time when I looked at it, it said something different.

10-13

I jump off of the bed. Kirishima seems confused. "What's wrong?" he asks. I point towards his wrist. "Y-Your date... It's different..." I stutter out. Kirishima looks at it and raises an eyebrow. "What are you talking about? It's always been the 14th." I shake my head, walking closer to him. "No, don't lie to me, Kirishima. I know it was on your birthday. Your birthday is on the 16th, not the 14th." I stay, grabbing his shoulders. Kirishima is standing now. "Why wouldn't you tell me about something like that??" I ask, hurting a little. He opens his mouth, but nothing comes out. "I..." Tears roll down his cheeks. "I noticed that our dates were changing at the same time, but I didn't want to tell you. Because I didn't want to worry you anymore than you already were." He pushes his face into my shoulder and hugs me, still crying.