How Far is Land?

It took half an hour, five blankets, and coco for Finn to stop shivering and actually focus on where exactly he was.

"Why are we in your room?"

"I've already told you, my parents will notice if we're in the infirmary," Fontaine said, for the third time.

"And that's... bad?"

"I don't think they'll believe that you're alone."

Finn took a moment to process that. "You believe me?"

"You got dumped outside, but insisted on following. Or, holding onto the Aronnax." Now Fontaine paused. "How did you hold on for two hours?"

"It's not that hard if you know where to hide."

Fontaine didn't think that hitching rides on unsuspecting subs wasn't really a life skill. Then again, he was a pirate. He'd probably been doing it for years.

"I just don't think my parents should know yet," Fontaine said. She moved a stack of books from the desk to the shelf, feeling self-conscious at having someone in her room.

"Do they have to know?" Finn asked.

"I think they'd notice someone new on the Aronnax," Fontaine said.

"How far to the nearest island?" Finn asked.

"We aren't dumping you on an island."

"So... the ocean for me?"

"I think you froze your brain out there." Fontaine crossed her arms. "You're staying here."

"Huh?"

Fontaine frowned. "Is your head okay?"

Finn seemed to think about the question... for a long time.

"Maybe I should get Mum," Fontaine said, starting for the door.

"No, no, I'm fine!"

"Are you sure? Everything I say is going right over your head. More than normal."

Finn huffed and scowled, making Fontaine worry more. What exactly had happened since yesterday? He hadn't smiled or joked since he'd warmed up.

"Look," Fontaine said, deciding she would have to use logic. "We're miles away from land. You couldn't swim that far alone. I'll convince Mum to head for land, and you can leave once we're close."

Fontaine had to wonder why Finn wasn't trying to convince her parents to let him stay, though. He was wanting to go to land, not stay on the Aronnax.

Plus, Fontaine had expected Finn to at least have some way to contact the Dark Orca in case something went wrong. But while he'd been taking off scuba gear she had noticed his communicator missing. His earring was missing, too, Fontaine noticed, and she suddenly wondered if Finn was actually serious!

Fontaine decided to ignore her questions. Finn was nodding along with her plan, and that was good enough for her.

"Good. Follow me. I've got a better place you can hide for now," Fontaine said, pulling the vent on the wall open. "Then I'll see what I can do to get the Aronnax toward land."

Right after she went to see Ant and got it into his head that they just had to head further out to sea. She just needed a little extra time to figure out what exactly Finn was up to.