Shadows In the Water

/N: This chapter was accidental. I started the chapter after this one, then realized that I'd had to cover too much between the chapters. So I did this to fill the gap.

---------------------------------

Nektons didn't get lost. Least of all Ant.

Ant could always remember exactly where he'd been and, usually, put together a path in unfamiliar areas. And for all his desire for adventure, Ant wouldn't let a friend be put in danger or intentionally drop contact with his family.

So if Ant was off-grid with Griffin, something really bad had to have happened.

"Okay, test's over," Fontaine said, turning the rowboat. "I need to get back to the Aronnax and grab a Knight to help search."

Finn nodded and dropped out of sight. Fontaine assumed he was swimming ahead, until he popped back up a few minutes later.

"You said the ghost sub was glowing green?" Finn asked.

"It looked like it. Why?"

"Because there's something glowing headed this way!"

"It's probably Mum or Dad." Fontaine stowed the oars. "Hurry, get out of sight!"

Finn threw her a quick salute, then he dove. Fontaine stood and peered in the direction Finn had pointed, but she couldn't see anything.

Fontaine turned on her communicator. "Mum, Dad, which one of you are headed toward me?"

"Neither of us," Kaiko said. "We're on the north side of the island."

Fontaine squinted. "Well, um... there's something headed my way. And it's glowing!"

"Don't move, I'm coming!" Kaiko said.

"Oh, I won't budge," Fontaine said, eyes on the glow.

The glow rushed closer, then passed under the rowboat. Fontaine leaped to the opposite side of the rowboat and peered down.

Fontaine was gripped with worry for Finn. Had he had enough time to swim away? Would the "ghost sub" care?

The glow made a broad circle, then abruptly stopped moving not far from the rowboat. Slowly, it started to rise.

"Uh, Mum? Where are you?" Fontaine asked.

"Nearly there. What's happening?"

"It's getting clos-"

Fontaine broke off as the water surged under the rowboat. A long, gleaming surface burst from the water, throwing up waves that rocked the rowboat. Fontaine dropped to her knees until the rowboat's motions slowed.

"Fontaine!" Kaiko called.

"It's the submarine!" Fontaine said in awe. "It's right here!"

"Are you okay?" Kaiko asked.

"Yeah, it's just..." Fontaine swallowed as something squeaked. "Um..."

A hatch on the top of the sub was flung open. Fontaine tensed, only to exhale in relief when Griffin's head popped out.

"Griffin!" Fontaine called. "I've never been so glad to see you."

"Fontaine?" Griffin said. "What are you doing out here in a rowboat?"

"I'll explain later. Is Ant with you?"

Griffin nodded. "He's steering the sub!"

"That explains why I almost got capsized," Fontaine muttered. She lifted her comm. "Did you hear that, Mum?"