Chapter 5: The Missing Order

Ramirez's POV

<May 27, 2029>

"The first move is always the best thing to do, especially if your enemy is weak or isn't ready. They knew Italica was just recently attacked by bandits, so that means they got us while we were licking our wounds," I explained to Itami.

"Makes sense, but that doesn't explain why they attacked the east side of the gate," he disagreed.

"The bandits attacked the west side right?"

"Right."

"They knew that the bandits attacked the west side. They also correctly assumed that we would reinforce the west side the most. In order to try and gain ground before we could put up an effective defense, you would attack the opposite side of the strongest side. It takes a longer time to rotate defenders to the attacking side, so they use that gap to push through."

I was sitting with Ashley and Itami on a couple of folding chairs surrounding a table. The canopy we were under provided ample protection from the sun. The new Italica was more secure than it was before. The Russians haven't come back yet. Maybe they realized it was too risky for them to launch a full on assault.

"What's our next course of action?" I asked Itami.

Itami pulled out a data pad from a duffel bag near him. He placed it on the table and unlocked it.

"We got word that the Order of the Rose is MIA," Itami briefed us.

"Extraction operation?" I asked.

"Most likely. We need to find their last known position first."

I looked at the paper map on the table. There were numerous paths leading to Italica.

"What was their scheduled route?" I asked him.

Itami took out a red pen and traced their scheduled path. I analyzed the path and there was a part where it goes through a forest.

"That is where I would set up an ambush," I delineated while circling the area with a black pen.

Itami looked over and observed my suggested location.

"Lots of cover. You're right Ramirez, that place is perfect for an ambush," he commented.

"Should we start there?" I asked.

"We'll go on your hunch."

I got up from the table and grabbed my backpack and slung it over my back. My unit got a tent to rest in. I walked in and everyone was sitting and talking to each other. My second in command, Bryce, caught a glimpse of me.

"Attention on deck!" he declared.

Everyone jumped out of their seats and faced me.

"At ease everyone," I said. 

I grabbed a chair and sat down with everyone.

"We got orders to perform an extraction of some High Value Targets. These HVTs are allies so keep your weapons pointed away from them. Treat them with respect. I know you guys aren't up for another battle with Russians, but this Order of the Rose needs our help," I briefed them, "If you're out, say it now."

Silence filled the tent. Everyone looked to the left and right of each other.

"I think we're all coming sir," Bryce said.

"All right, we head out in 10 mikes so get a move on. Meet up by the MRAPs," I ordered.

"Yes, sir!" they acknowledged.