Chaos in the Forest

Ramirez's POV

0100 hours October 6th, 2022

An orange fireball came from the left side of the hallway following a thunderous sound.

"Shit," I thought.

Itami ran around the corner and saw Kurata covered in ash but appeared unscathed. In his arms, the prisoner known as Prince Zorzal.

"Kuribayashi, secure him," Itami ordered.

"Roger."

Garret was supposed to be with him.

"He..." Kurata coughed, "He sacrificed himself for me."

I ran up to the room and found a body in US camouflage lying there. Covered in ash and bloodied up like Kurata but had injuries.

"I got you," I yelled.

I pulled on the back of his uniform and brought his body out of the room.

"We need to Oscar Mike now!" I shouted.

"We're pinned down! Our only exit is blocked!" Ashley yelled back.

Gunshots rang out from the other end of the hallway. I glance down and see Garret struggling with his M1911. I took the pistol and racked the slide back to put a bullet in the chamber.

"Just go. There was an exit in," he coughed,"The room we cleared. I don't know where it goes but that's your best shot."

He pushed himself of the floor and using the wall to steady himself. His right hand grasping onto the M1911 I returned.

"Take my tags," he spoke weakly, "Get out of here...Go...GO!"

I hesitated for a moment before Garret placed his left arm on my shoulder.

"All right, everyone into the office room. There's a hole in the ground that could be our ticket out," I said over the radio.

"What about Garret and Travis?" Ashley asked.

"Leave them behind. Grab their tags."

"Sir?"

"That was an order god dammit. Ditch their bodies and we'll come back for them."

"Aye. All personnel into the office."

I looked back at Garret.

"Godspeed my friend," he coughed.

"You too," I responded.

I picked up my rifle from the floor and sprinted away from Garret and into the office room. I saw Ashley kneeling near the opening.

"Go Go," I responded.

I aimed my rifle towards the door. Ashley walked backwards into the whole. Gunshots echoed in the adjacent hallway.

Garret's POV

(0300 local time)