Chapter 6: Mission

Jayden, Emily, Serena, Kevin, Mike, and Mia were waiting for their parents to get back from fighting the Nighlock. They had been gone for days. The kids missed their parents. Jayden missed father more than anyone could ever know.

Jayden soon figured out that the team was missing. He was scared, but he didn't want to see his father hurt or worse! He might never see his father again.

"We need to do something," said Jayden.

"Yeah," the others agreed.

They set out at midnight. Emily was scared of the dark. She started whimpering. Jayden hugged her and held her hand as they walked to where their parents had last been spotted.

When they arrived, they followed the destruction about a mile led them right behind the Nighlock. Jayden got scared. All of them were scared. Jayden had to be brave.

Line Break

James saw Jayden and the other kids. He panicked. He couldn't let them get hurt. He watched as they slowly backed away.

Line Break

"Hey!" Jayden shouted. The Nighlock turned around.

"Well, well, the ranger kids," said the Nighlock. He attacked.

"Scatter!" Jayden called. They ran away in different directions, but no one ran home. They regrouped in the middle. They dodged the Nighlock's blade and any other thing he threw at them.

Emily disappeared, something she was good at. She found a sharp piece of wood. She picked it up and started to saw at James' bonds. He jumped and looked at her. She put a finger to her lips. She continued with little success. She wanted to give up.

"Keep going, sweetie," said James. She continued harder. He was soon free. She continued on to the others. A little while later, they were all free. Kevin threw them their Samurizers. Soon the Nighlock was destroyed. The kids and parents went home.

Line Break

"That was reckless," said James, scoldingly.

"We were just trying to get you out safely," said Jayden. The others looked down. No one, except Jayden, would even talk to James.

"It was still reckless," said James.

"So?" asked Jayden," We're here. We're alive and so are you."

"Jayden, you had no excuse for doing what you did. In fact, you shouldn't have even been there," said James.

"What about everything you taught me? What you are saying goes against the way you brought me up!" Jayden shouted.

"Jayden, do not raise your voice at me," James said.

"I hate you!" Jayden shouted and he stalked off to his room.

"Um, sir, what do you want us to do?" Serena asked.

"Just go to bed," said James. The kids filed out of the room to their beds. It was pretty late and they were tired.

"Is Jayden in trouble?" asked Emily. James looked up and realized that Emily was still in there with him.

"No, Emily," Jayden is not in trouble," said James.

"Okay," said Emily.

"Now, be a good little girl, and go to bed," said James.

"Night," said Emily with a yawn. She gave him a hug and kissed his cheek. He smiled.

"Good night," said James. Emily walked out of the door. She's so adorable, thought James.

Line Break

James walked into Jayden's room. He sighed. His son was crying. He wondered why. He knocked on Jayden's open door. Jayden looked up and, recognizing his dad, turned away. James sighed.

"You still mad?" asked James.

"Yeah," said Jayden. He was hurting. His father didn't care.

"Would a hug help?" asked James. Jayden was tempted to say yes.

"I don't think so," said Jayden.

"What you did was reckless," James said.

"I was trying to save you," said Jayden.

"At the risk of your life? And your friends' life? You put them in danger too. That was not fair or wise," said James," I was going through torture Jayden, but seeing you get hurt would have been ten times worse."

"But..." Jayden said.

"There are no buts," interrupted James," You're grounded. No playing. In fact, you only leave this room for meals. Am I understood?" Jayden glared at the floor.

When Jayden didn't answer, James, raise his voice and asked," Am I understood?"

"Yes, sir," said Jayden. He was glaring at the floor. He was trying to stop at the tears from falling. He was not going to cry in front of his father. He was not going to let his father see how much he needed him.

"Good," said James, and he walked out the door. The moment Jayden was sure James couldn't hear him, he sobbed. He cried himself to sleep.