25. Untitled II.

And no person can die except by Allah’s leave and at an appointed time. And whoever desires a reward in this world, we shall give him it. And whoever desires a reward in the Hereafter, We shall give him thereof and we shall reward the grateful.” ( Q 02:145)

...

“Oh my God!” I cried out loudly,  07:00 am? 

Is this some kind of a joke? 

I dashed into the bathroom before I could process my thoughts. How did we wake up so late, despite the alarms we set the previous night? 

After observing my prayer, I went into Salsabil’s room, but she was not in bed so I hovered over Barakah’s cot, as she slept soundly in her white onesie, closed hands tucked under her right cheek, lashes fluttering slightly with each breath. 

Salsabil came out, wiping her wet face with the ends of her nightgown.  

Looks like I wasn’t the only one who woke up late. 

Sannu Maijego (nursing mother)." I greeted with a smile.

She smiled and stood across from me. 

Sannu Aunty, Ya gajiyan Jiya

I shrugged, making my way to the door. “Fine fine o, you can see the effects of sleeping late,” I said over my shoulder. 

She chuckled, bending over Barakah's sleeping form, inserting her finger into Barakah’s hand. 

Toh, let me go and get us something to eat,” I said, opening the door. 

“Aunty,” Salsabil called. “Thank You.” 

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion. “For what?” I opened my palms.

“For taking care of Barakah, and me.” Her voice wobbled as she blinked back tears.

“Salsabil, I should be thanking you instead. Despite everything I did to you.” I said.

She smiled. “Don’t say that, just thank God for His mercy, that’s what is working for us now.” 

“That’s true.” I nodded and turned to the door.

“You’d make a great mum." She added. 

I laughed and turned to her. “Haba dai, Barakah is just a calm baby o. She makes child care look like a piece of cake.” I laughed. “I hope so sha.” 

“Oh and don’t include me in the breakfast, I’m not too hungry.”

I nodded. “What will you take then?”

“I don’t know yet.” She shrugged, moving towards the bed. "I think I'll just lie down for a bit."

“Okay, I’ll let you know when Hidaya and her mum arrive for the Lankan Jego-Nursing mother’s bath.”

...

While I prepared breakfast, the morning sun kept me company, reflecting on the floor in long slits and warming up the cold tiles beneath my feet. 

Afterwards, I moved to the sitting room to open the closed windows.

 A few minutes later, Mama and Hidaya arrived.

Isma'il had just stepped outside with a friend when a scream erupted from Salsabil's room. 

I almost dropped the enamel plate I was holding out of shock. It had been a while since we heard such screams. I quickly kept it on the table and ran into the room, Isma’il followed behind me.