4. To Meet Again Someday

Women don’t pretty themselves up for men, they do it to get back at other women.

                                        -Sasha Guitry

Tuesday, 3rd June, 2004

I went to the nearest First bank to cash in my share of our family's monthly contribution. But to my surprise, there was a long queue, which was quite unexpected as a heavy rain fell earlier in the morning. 

After my transaction, as I made my way towards the glass door, I felt a soft tap on my shoulder. I turned and beheld the most beautiful girl I had ever seen.

 No, I’m not exaggerating here.

She was short enough for me to see the center of her shawl wrapped head; dressed in a purple skirt and blouse, with an angular face with bushy eyebrows, her grey eyes and button nose reminded me of the kitten I had when I was fifteen. Her light skin, a total contrast to my coal complexion. 

“Assalamu alaikum sister–Peace be upon you." She greeted me with a shy smile which I reciprocated.

“Sorry for disturbing but can I borrow your pen please?” 

I looked around and saw that we were the only females in the bank. “Wa alaiki salaam, I don’t have any, did you check the table over there?” I pointed to the small table to my left, covered with deposit and withdrawal slips. 

She glanced at the table and shook her head. 

"Maybe someone mistakenly took the one there." I said.

 Then a lady arrived at the table, grabbed a slip and searched her purse for a pen. The fairy turned to me with relief. I smiled and nodded goodbye. 

I was at the Navy Town bus stop shed when she came looking for a place to sit, as the buses were yet to arrive. She came closer and I made space for her. 

“Thank you.” 

I smiled at her voice, as soft as the breeze dancing around  us. “Are you Nigerian?” I joked. 

She laughed. “I don’t know, can you tell?”

 I shook my head.  Two girls walked towards us, to her obviously. 

Sister you fine o.” The tall one with a small camera hanging down her chest hailed.

She smiled and looked down at her white purse. “Thank you.” 

This one na fresh oyinbo girl, you no see her face, no pimples, no sunburn, nothing nothing.” She remarked, rotating her hand. 

Ah, I get pimples o. E no tey wey dem disappear–I have pimples, it wasn’t long when they disappeared.” She said as we peered closely at her face for any spot. 

Ah ah no! Why e no go disappear, your face pass their power, dem no fit survive–With a face like yours, why won’t they disappear?" The second girl said as she held up her camera,“Me na photographer, and I like to capture the beauties of Africa." She winked, "your face is perfect for my collection."

”No thank you, I don’t like taking pictures.” The fairy was saying when the white bus–with a black streak running along its windows–arrived. 

 We rushed into the bus before it got full again. As I sat, I noticed the picture girl in the front seat, while her partner remained outside.

Then, as if someone called her from behind, she turned around to the fairy and I at the far end of the seat. “Correct, oya fine sister, the picture.”

The fairy smiled and shook her head. The girl pouted and turned back to her camera. 

“Sister, thank you for earlier.” The fairy whispered.

“No problem.” I replied.

She smiled again and held out her hand. “Nice to meet you by the way, my name is Salsabil.” 

I shook her hand and replied. “What a beautiful name you have Masha Allah, I’m Kauthar.” 

Her eyes twinkled.“Ooh, you and I are named after two beautiful springs in paradise.” She wiggled her eyebrows. 

“Really? I didn’t know.” 

From there, we got talking, asking random questions and laughing like old pals.

When we reached the main junction, We got down, exchanged numbers and said our goodbyes, with hopes to meet again someday.