I Like this Song

a/n: the gif is not mine!

There was no yelling or even the sound of one of Mikey's numerous tv shows.  It was quiet.  Nice and quiet.  Donnie gave a small sigh out into the open air, appreciative of the silence.  He grabbed a wrench from his desk and walked back over to the Shellraiser, immediately getting underneath the vehicle to begin repairs.

Moments passed, Donnie wasn't positive on how much time,  but Donnie could hear the sound of footsteps.  Donnie smiled, already aware of who was coming through the lair.  He walked back over to his computer and started playing some music, the ones he always listened to when doing repairs.

He was a little surprised to not hear the shouts of greeting that usually came from his brothers whenever one of their human friends came to the lair.  Granted, it was two, but he expected a little more reaction from his brothers.  Donnie frowned, his eyes narrowing slightly in confusion and he tilted his head a little to try to hear better.

"Hey Donnie!"  Came April's voice from the doorway to his lab.  Donnie instantly had a grin on his face, he turned to address the red head, his brown eyes instantly finding her face.

She always listened when she came to the lab.  Donnie treasured the moments when they'd just sit in the lab and she'd talk and he'd listen or he'd talk and she'd listen.  Or they'd both just listen to the sound of the tinkering and clanking of the bolts and metal that Donnie was usually working with.

"Hey April!"  Donnie returned the greeting with a nod before turning back to the Shellraiser moments later.  He kept his head tilted a little to let her know he was still listening.  Out of the corner of his eye he could tell she was curious.  Her head tilted and a few strands of her bright red locks had fallen partially into her face.  Her face had contorted into a small frown as she looked out the door of his lab.

"Where are your brothers?  It's really quiet."  April asked as she moved towards the chair that Donnie had in front of his desk.  She wheeled it over towards him and sat down, her elbows finding her knees so she could rest her head on her hands.

"I, don't know actually.  I haven't heard them either.  They might be training with Sensei."  Donnie commented, his eyes glancing briefly from the Shellraiser to April.  She was smiling up at him and Donnie felt the heat rush to his cheeks instantly.  He snapped his head back to the Shellraiser and a stupid grin fell on his features.

"What are you doing?"  April asked, her voice calm and curious.  Gentle as always.

"Fixing the Shellraiser.  We had a bad run with the Foot last time.  They hit it pretty bad."  Donnie explained, his tongue sticking out slightly as he twisted a nut tighter against it's metal counterparts.

Donnie heard April hum in acknowledgement behind him and he smiled once again.  He does it so often around her that it's not even on purpose anymore.  It's a reflex, something he can't control.  Something he doesn't want to control because it always makes him happy.

There was silence for a while.  Donnie worked on the Shellraiser, he had to go and retrieve different tools sometimes before quickly coming back and getting right back to work.  He could tell April was watching him and he didn't mind.  He used to.  It used to make him nervous, he felt like he was going to make a mistake and make an absolute fool of himself.  Anymore though, he's gotten used to it, he's learned to appreciate it.

"I like this song."

Donnie turns his head to look at April.  She resting her head still on her hands and she's still watching him but her eyes are a little more glossy.  She's watching him but paying attention to something else too.  He listens for a moment to recognize the song.  The song itself is rather out of place from a lot of his other music but it's a nice and slow tune.  Gentle and calm, like a river.

Donnie pauses, his eyes looking towards his computer for a moment as he debates.  For a moment more there is silence.  It's calming, actually.  Just listening to the music and letting it truly sink in.

"April?"  Donnie starts, his eyes glancing towards the female.  The nervousness that was being displayed was obvious, his hands fiddling with each other and just the look in his eyes was telling enough.

"Yeah?"  April responds and looks up towards Donnie again.  He walks closer to her and pauses, the inhale feeling like it will never end.

"Do you want to dance?"  Donnie asks, his voice is a little weak and it's a little quiet but April still gets the message.  April smiles up at him, it's truly genuine by the way her eyes look like they have a laugh in them.

She gets up off the chair and moves to reach Donnie.  She grabs his hand and puts her hand on his shoulder.  Donnie smiles gently, kindly, back and places his right hand on her middle back.  Donnie pauses a moment before he begins swaying them to the beat, April following the motion easily as she just looks up at him.

Donnie personally never really danced.  He couldn't dance with anyone and he'd never gotten the chance to try.  The most he'd done was more freestyle with his brothers whenever a tune they all loved would play.

Yet now it feels so special.  It feels like something he never wants to let go.  Maybe never even tell his brothers about because in a way it feels like it's his moment.  It's his special moment with April and he's absolutely sure he's doing it at least a little wrong, and he tries to correct it when he notices, but he's happy.

He's really happy.

She looks happy too.  Her eyes never leave his and after a little bit she rests her head on his plastron and he smiles even more.  He continues to sway them in a circle, it's what he's seen on TV, and he just treasures the moment.  It's gentle, it quiet, it's caring.

It's Donnie and April's moment.

a/n: well!  i finally updated!  i hope you all enjoy this one!  i personally love writing these!  it was SO much fun and i hope you all enjoyed it!  thank you for reading!  let me know what other oneshots i should do!  feel free to give me ideas/requests on what pairing and the scenario!  once again, thank you so much for reading!  have a great day!