Chapter 8: The Legrue Corridor

Asuna's POV

(December 19, 2024)

We walked through the dark caves that lead to Alne, the capital city near the world tree.

"You know, why didn't we try to fly above the thing you know?" I suggested.

"Yeah, you can try that and you won't even make it halfway," Ichika said, "The flight time is limited in the game. Even if you managed indefinite flight, you wouldn't reach it because of the altitude limit."

"Then why can't we just fly through the dungeon?"

"Your wings only work if the sunlight or moonlight can reach them."

We continued to walk through the dungeon. The walls had a mystical glow to them. Every so often, we had to fight Orcs according to the game.

"Mommy, there are other signatures here," Yui said.

"Monsters?" I asked.

"No, players!"

We both stopped in our tracks and looked around.

"Quick, hide in here," Ichika said while pushing me.

I stumbled backward into a small crevice in the cave walls. Ichika casted a hiding spell to camouflage our positions. She shifted her index finger above her mouth and signaled me to be quiet. A small bat hovered past me. Ichika broke out of her position and shot at the bat.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"There's no point. That was a high-level tracing searcher, my magic isn't high enough to prevent it from seeing us," she explained.

She grabbed my wrist and dragged me behind her.

"We got to reach Legrue before they reach us," she said.

We sprinted through the corridor and managed to reach the end of the cave. The walls opened up and near the exit was a large bridge leading to a city.

"Come on!" Ichika yelled while sprinting to the gate, "Legrue is neutral territory so they shouldn't be able to get us there."

I pushed on trying to catch up to Ichika but a wall split us from each other.

"Asuna!" she yelled.

I ran up to the wall and tried to push it down. I could hear Ichika struggling to break down the wall as well.

"It's no use!" I yelled.

I heard the unsheathing of a blade behind me. I turned around and saw 10 Salamanders standing there.

"Well well well, if it isn't that Undine renegade," one of the Salamanders said.

I drew my sword and faced them.

"I've already beat you once," I taunted, "I can do it a second time."

"Oh, this won't be like last time," the salamander shot back.

They formed a shield wall to block the entrance of the bridge.

"Magic-Users! Explosive spells!" the commander ordered.

I heard the shouting of words before seeing bright red lines coming from behind the shield wall. The red lines landed in front of me. The explosions threw me back into the wall. I pushed myself off of the ground using my sword.

"Ichika, why don't I just swim over to the city," I suggested.

"That...might work considering you're an Undine," she said.

I looked back at the wall.

"Meet me at the gate!" I shouted.

I ran to the edge of the bridge and dove into the water. I took out my sword and swam towards the town. After a couple of minutes, I felt something tugging on my gear. I looked down and saw a water monster near my feet. I contorted my body and slashed at the water monster. The monster loosened its grip on my gear and I continued on to the city. I pulled myself onto the shore after a couple of minutes.

"You okay?" Ichika asked while pulling me out of the water.

"I'm fine," I panted.

I walked over to the gate and passed through the threshold. A banner flashed across my screen.

"Welcome to Legrue City," it said.

Yui floated near my shoulder. I hunched over and took some deep breaths.

"Quite the show," Ichika commented while patting me on the back.

"Now I'm just really tired," I said in exhaustion. "Yui, are there any inns near here?"

"There's one nearby mommy," she responded.

I followed Yui's guidance to the inn. I ordered the room and walked inside.

"I'm going to take my leave," I said before closing the door, "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"I'll see you tomorrow Asuna," Ichika answered.

I closed the door and walked over to the bed. I laid down on the bed.

"I'm going to log out Yui," I announced.

"Okay, mommy," she responded.

I laid down on the bed and logged out.

(Real Life)

I woke up in a dark bedroom. I rolled over and turned on the heater.

"What time is it?" I thought.

I looked at my clock and it was 6:00 in the evening.

"Oh no, I'll be late for dinner!" I thought.

I bolted off of my bed and switched out of my clothes. I walked out of my bedroom and down the stairs to the dining room. I opened the door and I only saw my mom.

"You're late," my mom commented.

"Sorry mom," I said while sitting down at the table.