Chapter 17

A loud scream escaped my mouth and I could hear Hero curse under his breath.

"Hit the breaks!" And I hit the breaks! I didn't think I even knew which pedal was a break but when you have three and you've already used two...you do the math.

"OH MY GOD!" The hair was all over my face and after I turned the car off I quickly undid my seatbelt and stormed out of the car.

"Oliv, wait!" I could hear Hero coming behind me. After I turned to him with a horrendous look on my face he just burst into laughter.

At first, I was offended because I thought he was laughing at me but his laugh soon became addicting and I joined in.

"What's so funny?" I finally spoke. He couldn't seem to get any breath, but quickly enough he came through.

"The fact that I did the exact same thing the first time I sat into the car." He began laughing again and so did I.

"So what, you too put the gearbox in reverse instead of the first gear?" A tear fell out of his eye from all that laughter.

"Yup. And after that, my dad smacked me on the bach of my head so hard that I almost hit the wheel." I started laughing like crazy because I could picture that in my head very clearly.

"Well, I hope I won't get smacked." 

"Of course not." His eyes were resting on mine so calmly. "But you might have to kiss me instead."

"W-What?" My face became serious right away. That caused him to laugh even more. Okay, if someone saw us right now they would think that we escaped from some mental hospital or something.

"Do you wanna try once more?" Is he serious? I could've just destroyed his father's car and he's asking me if I wanna maybe try that again. 

"Hell no! Did you see what I just did there? I could've killed us!" He smiled just enough so that his dimples would show and looked at me with soft eyes.

"You will not kill us. And besides, I didn't think that you were the one that  gives up that easily." Oh, I see what he's trying to do here. He thinks he can use my stubbornest against me. Well, not today!

"I'm not. But when I almost crash someone's car, which could've gotten you in a lot of trouble, by the way, I do think twice about doing it again." I look down at my fingers so that I wouldn't have to look at him. I realize that I might've just set our 'relationship' to another level and I'm not sure if he's on the same page as me.

"So you're actually scared of what could happen to me and not of driving?" I can hear him getting closer. I shyly look up at him. If I'm doing this then I'm doing it, I'm not gonna hide.

"Well, yeah..." There's a lot of confusion in his eyes and I do fear a little of where this is going. Maybe I just fear his reaction, I'm not sure anymore.

"But why?" He's right in front of me and patiently waiting for my answer.

"Because I care about you..." We're just staring at each other. Me because I'm scared of his answer and him trying to process what I just said. 

"Wha-What do you mean?" He's stuttering. Okay, so I'm really doing this...

"I know that we've only known each other for two weeks and I know we said that we'll take it slow, but I also know that with every day spent together I've felt so much closer to you. I don't know why you don't open up to people, but I do see the way that you're opening up to me and that means so much. It makes me feel special, it makes me feel like you can trust me and that is something that I cherish the most Hero... I have seen something in you that I have never seen in anyone and I don't want it to stop. I care so much about you that it fears me but I don't wanna go back home. I don't wanna leave here because you're not gonna be with me. I can't let you go." I end in a whisper. Tears are now freely running down my face and I feel so vulnerable.  His palms go up to my face drying all the tears.

"Hey... You know that I would want nothing more than for us to be together, but remember what happened last time... I just want you to be sure. Do you think that you can handle a long-distance relationship?"

He's right. I seem to have forgotten what challenges lay ahead if we decide to do this. Could I handle a long-distance relationship? That's something that I never even dared think about because I knew how difficult it would be and it just never seemed worth it. 

I finally smile. Now it is clear to me. "Yes, you are worth it..."  The fear of losing him is much greater than my fear of distance.  "I want to make this work."

A big smile is now covering his face and I can tell that he's sharing my excitement. He grabs my cheeks and kisses me, finally! After a few moments, he lets go of me.

"You have no idea how glad I am you just said that!" And he hugs me again. I feel such an adrenaline rush going through my body. So this is it, we're doing it. I have a boyfriend!

...

"It's getting dark, do you think we should go back?" I ask wishing for a negative answer. These couple of hours have been amazing and I don't want them to end, not today, and hopefully not for at least another week. I haven't told him this yet because I don't want to disappoint him if it doesn't work, but I'm going to try and convince my parents to let me stay a bit more, at least while Hero is still here.

"Oh no, I have something else planned." A cheeky grin is covering his face. I'm left there confused as he opens his trunk. The next thing I see is him taking out a blanket.

"What's that for?" If this is what I think it is I'm gonna marry this man.

"We're gonna be watching the stars." 

"Yes! I knew it!" Could this day get any better??

"I figured you'd be happy." The look on his face... I can't- I don't know how to describe it. It's like he's happy because of my happiness... This boy is so pure, I want to cherish him forever...

"How did you figure that?" I help him set up the blanket and we sit on it.

"Well, we did stay up pretty late talking about the universe the first day we met." 

"You remember that?" I can't believe he remembers that! I thought he was just messing with me that day and didn't really listen. After all, I did hear him talk to Marco... 

"Of course I remember. I also remember the sparkle in your eyes when you looked at those stars. It was like you have never seen anything more fascinating." His gaze is deepening into my eyes. I feel like he's looking into my soul. I've never felt like that around any guy.

"Oh, I think I've seen something even more fascinating since then." I can't take my eyes off of him. It's like I'm waiting for our worlds to collide...and that's exactly what happens the next moment when he kissed me. This is our best kiss yet, full of emotion and care for each other. I can't think about anything else. My mind is now only filled with one thing, and that is the closeness with this boy...