ONE: Wolf in Disguise

Photo: RM with VT Cosmetics

Downtown Los Angeles

Kim Namjoon sits in his chair, facing the floor to ceiling window of his office on the 65th floor. His thoughts have halted for a brief space in time as he takes in his favourite part of everyday.

The ball of fire gets lower and lower in the sky, its light passes through more and more layers of air causing the surroundings to turn into different hues of orange and red. The heavy layers of smoke, dust and water particles all come into play as if proclaiming to the rest of the world that only Los Angeles can produce such majestic colours. The very few clouds stretch out appearing as if they too are reluctant to let the bright light go, chasing it until it's gone. The colour of the sky gave one last attempt to brightness, but in the blink of an eye, the bright yellow ball had disappeared into the horizon making way for the darkness of night to appear.

As the sun finally disappeared from Namjoon's view and the darkness starts to take over, he can feel his heartbeat start to accelerate, his body start to vibrate and his skin start to ripple. The overall tension that radiates within him starts to shake. This is the time that he lets himself feel the leashed power within. The anticipation of transformation starts as soon as the sky darkens. His eyes starts to change in colour and his gums start to itch. He could feel his bones start to elongate.

However, like every other dusk in his life, Namjoon reigns in the beast inside. The beast that lately have been getting more and more impatient, more persistent. The beast inside of him that has been forced to lay dormant since its first appearance on that particular night 10 years ago.

Namjoon takes deep breaths, slow and measured as he uncurls his fist with effort. When he finally regains control, he leisurely stretches his arms and legs, the bones cracking so loud that it disturbs the silence in the room. He slowly stands up and walks to the opened door that leads to his office balcony. He steps out and sniffs the air once, twice and thrice for good measure. He does this every single night to make sure that no other alpha male dare to encroach in his territory. Once satisfied, he walks back to the chair he's vacated a few minutes ago, loosens the tie around his neck and gets ready to resume work.

It's been 8 years since Namjoon claimed downtown Los Angeles as his territory. Ten years since he was forced to leave South Korea, his birthplace, his home. He was perfectly fine living his life then, going to university and enjoying the perks of being the son of a CEO.

His father being the leader of a werewolf pack that took over pretty much all of the telecommunication and automobile industry had spoiled him and his younger sister, Geongmin. His mother being the mate of the alpha, tried her best to instill discipline and order in the Kim household by making sure Namjoon and his sister know about their roles as the alpha's offsprings.

Namjoon being the oldest will be next in line if or when his father dies or until the pack decides that the current alpha is no longer fit to lead. He will inherit the pack and the responsibilities that come with it. That was the plan anyway. But as any other plan goes, it could change under any circumstance. What could've changed it you ask? Well, for instance, being abducted from your dorm room in the middle of the night and being forced on a plane heading to the other side of the world, and at the same time finding out that your father has been murdered in his sleep and that you have no time to mourn because you have to go into hiding. Yeah, that kind of circumstance.

Namjoon leans back in his chair and looks around the lavish office in which he had occupied for 8 years and counting. The walls are light brown wood mixed with glass. The floor to ceiling windows on the right side of his desk gives him the perfect skyline view of downtown Los Angeles. On the left side boasts a wall of bookshelves stacked with books of different genre. His massive glass desk faces the door, the entrance to the room, not counting the almost hidden balcony door next to the windows. On the left side of the door is a leather couch facing a big screen TV. This office and his penthouse apartment are his most sacred places, his sanctuaries. It's a place where he can relax and unwind. Not too many people are allowed inside his sanctuaries unless he gives them the permission. Every single one of his employees know that one sacred rule.