SIX: Close Call

Photo: Namjoon in a suit. Source: BTS Official Facebook page.
............

Namjoon walked into the wedding venue and every person in that room turned to look, male and female alike. He was clad in an immaculate black suit that looked like it was tailor made for his built and frame, emphasizing his toned upper body and lengthy legs. His tanned complexion standing out in pure contrast to the blackness of his outfit. His auburn hair was slicked back exposing his proportionally perfect forehead. The undercut style revealing his almond shaped silvery brown eyes topped off with thick eyebrows, as well as his patrician nose and thick lips. Perhaps the most endearing of all is the dimple on his left cheek. The indentation so deep that he doesn't need to smile for it to appear.

He walked in with a nonchalant swagger projecting like he owned the goddamn place. Belying the fact that he was barely keeping it together. The sighs of admiration or perhaps jealousy echoed each other as he unknowingly made his presence known. He projected such strong energy that one didn't have any choice but to look and stare. Whispers could be heard wondering, speculating on who the new comer was.

What the onlookers failed to notice were the two men flanking Namjoon on either side, forming a tight triangle with three points. Sejin to the right, and the other man to the left. That other man was none other than the stylist that was sent by Namjoon's mother. His name is Park Jimin. You see, Park Jimin is half mage-half fairy. He was recruited by Namjoon's mother to provide extra protection for her son when the plan was finalized that he'll be coming home. The mage-fairy was to pose as a stylist and later on "befriend" the alpha so as to avoid suspicion from the clan. Keep in mind, Namjoon isn't supposed to exist.
And that is why, Jimin went to work as soon as he found out about the alpha's condition when he entered the former's hotel room.

All three appeared to just be sauntering in the park rather than a ballroom. But appearances could be deceiving! The truth was, Sejin and Jimin were actually keeping that close of a distance to Namjoon. The two mages have combined their powers to create a calming spell for Namjoon, that would hopefully be effective long enough until the festivities for the day are done. Jimin added a burst of swag to mask the strain and tension on Namjoon's air.

However, the mages failed to take into consideration the fragile status of the alpha's emotions because as soon as Namjoon spotted his mother and sister, his emotions just overflowed. It could be attributed to his current emotional and physical state as to why this happened but he couldn't help the tears that threatened to flow, making his vision blurry! Like a dam exploded. He was about to run into the arms of his mother like a long lost kid, if not for the mages putting their hands on his shoulder. Perhaps to hold him back or perhaps to remind him of what and where he is. That there are eyes watching.

So instead, all three continued to walk casually towards the front where the mother and sister were, as if they're just going to pay their respects. In the corner of her eye, Namjoon's mother saw them approaching.

"Eomma." Namjoon mumbled in greeting. "Dongsaeng" he added, looking at his younger sister. Seeing their faces in person for the first time after a long time was such a blow to him that it took all of his willpower not to engulfed them in a bone crushing hug.

"Later son. We will have our time later." Was the low warning from his mother. "You look so handsome though." She added, while nodding to the other two men in acknowledgement.

"You look stunning as well mother. And yes, of course you too little sister. Being a bride suits you" Namjoon replied with a small teasing smile. That was the extent of the family's initial interaction. After 10 long years of not seeing each other in person, that was it!

.................

Namjoon stood to the side, almost invisible, blending in with the walls; watching quietly. A tuxedoed mercenary with very measured breathing and carries a power barely contained. He gives the occasional nod here and there, the obviously forced smile from time to time to make the surrounding people think that he is actually a living and breathing entity and not just some statue, albeit an Adonis like statue, carved out of stone. He's been in the same spot, almost the same position ever since the wedding ceremony started. Now, the ceremony is over and the picture taking is in progress. It's been over two hours!

Guests for the reception were slowly starting to trickle in. One by one. Namjoon being on the far side corner of the room (with Sejin and Jimin of course), had the best vantage point to observe the whole ballroom. To scrutinize the people that were already seated and those that walk in. He watched his sister and now brother in law, Hoseok (who is actually Sejin's cousin, twice removed; therefore making him a mage as well) as they went around greeting their guests. He paid attention to anyone who walks in that smelled funny to his inner werewolf. This is the reason why he made it big in the corporate world in the US. He could smell deceit, fear, anger, or any other negative emotion that accompanies a person. He is an alpha after all.

As he continued to scan the surroundings, it hit him! The sweet scent that he would recognize anytime, anywhere. The sweet scent that started this whole struggle within him. He caught a whiff of the smell first before he heard the commotion. And then he saw him! He entered the ballroom looking so immaculate without even trying. People turned to look and there were audible gasps that followed as soon as he crossed the threshold. The scent became stronger as the owner became closer.

Mr. Kim Seokjin! Mr. World wide handsome himself! His mate! His fucking mate!

Namjoon tried! He really did! He took deep breaths but each breath he took only intensified the scent. He closed his eyes but as soon as he did, he could see Seokjin's face clearly. The emotional and physical assault was too much for his human self. But his werewolf self was rejoicing! Jumping for joy! Enjoying the fact that his mate is in the same room as him. Tumbling with satisfaction, recognizing the sweet pull of its mate! Wanting the satisfaction, needing the closeness!

"Namjoon! Son? What's wrong?" Namjoon's mother asked, appearing by his side.

"Eomma. I need you to stay away for now." Namjoon answered in between clenched teeth.

"Tell me what's wrong!" His mother demanded.

"Eomma, please. Not now. I need you to go back to Geongmin's side. I will explain later." Namjoon pleaded. Much to his surprise and relief, his mother actually complied but not after a one last look over her shoulder.

Then the unexpected happened....Namjoon's beast tried to claw its way out! He is about to transform right in the open, right where everyone can see!