c005. princess consort

The esteemed prefectural magistrate had instructed him before that rules are of paramount importance in the prince's mansion. As he had carelessly slept until this hour of the day, Shen Yu is now so anxious and rushed that he does not even apply medicine, hurrying to follow Song Qing out instead.

"Lady Shen, this slave will speak out of turn. The Princess Consort has not had too good of a temper recently, so if you are to suffer any grievances, simply concentrate on bearing them."

Shen Yu nods his head. He definitely does not think that he can metamorphose from a pheasant into a phoenix just because he has really been married to the Northern Garrison Prince; he is also a slave, and he will do whatever his master has him do.

As they head to the Liqing Courtyard where the Princess Consort resides, Shen Yu does not dare to raise his head to look upon the furnishings or sceneries of the prince's mansion. He only senses that there are many people watching him.

The Princess Consort is reclined on an elegant divan, and her hair is full of shining head ornaments: pearls, hairpins, jade, and gilded flowers. She is dazzlingly opulent to the extent that people do not dare to gaze straight at her.

Shen Yu lowers into a kneel before her and kowtows as a display of courteous deference.

"Goodness, who must this arrival be?"

The Princess Consort swallows a grape and does not even spare him a glance.

Seeing that Shen Yu will not speak, Song Qing takes the initiative to state, "Lady Shen is paying the Princess Consort a morning greeting to pass on good wishes."

"Oh . . . It is Prefectural Magistrate Shen's daughter, ah. I was wondering whose arrogance was so grand. Forget the morning greeting: I'm soon to take my midday meal, so what sort of 'morning' greeting would this be considered?"

Song Qing explains, "Yesterday, His Highness was in high spirits. Lady Shen did not sleep until it was close to daybreak and therefore awakened too late."

"Was I asking you? Song Qing, don't rely on your status as His Highness's trusted aide, daring to debase the superior-subordinate hierarchy in front of my face! This uncivilized wench of the Shen clan is from the outside and does not understand rules; did you not know to wake him up? Believe it or not, a single sentence of mine can will His Highness to cut off your head!"

Song Qing kneels on the ground. "Princess Consort, quell your rage. It was His Highness who specially handed this slave the responsibility of ensuring that Lady Shen rested longer."

Shen Yu's heart is faintly moved. So His Highness actually does have some concern for him after all?

"Oh? His Highness seems to be quite mindful of this uncivilized wench?" The expression on the Princess Consort's face becomes even uglier; when His Highness was on her bed in the past, he never uttered a single line that was affectionate or considerate, and so this divulgence rouses her envy.

The Princess Consort gives a "humph," moves off of the elegant divan, and walks over to face Shen Yu. "To be tossed around in bed until daybreak, this matter isn't insignificant, is it . . . As a matter of fact, I'd like to see what part of your appearance is so exceptional, to the point that His Highness can enjoy himself to the fullest for an entire night."

The sharp nail guard of the Princess Consort's little finger lifts up Shen Yu's chin.

This face of his is devastatingly lovely, capable of bringing about the downfall of cities and the collapse of nations. The Princess Consort is aware of the Northern Garrison Prince's lustful tendencies, and all of the previous women he had brought back were leading beauties. However, she is still shocked to the extent that her astonishment cannot intensify nor be surpassed: Shen Yu's appearance is flawless, leaving nothing more to be desired, even possessing an enchanting quality that can ensnare spirits and trap souls.

Most special are those two eyes, which seem as mysterious and enticing as an orchid of a secluded valley.

When compared to him, the previous nine concubines could only be classified as the plainest and most unremarkable of women.

The Princess Consort detests this face—or, in other words, she detests all the women whom she must share the Northern Garrison Prince with.

"Sure enough, a seductive vixen!"

The Princess Consort unconsciously increases the strength in her fingers, and Shen Yu's chin—having skin so delicate that it could be damaged by the most harmless thing—is scratched by the sharp nail guard and left with a bloody laceration.

If not for her worries about the Northern Garrison Prince's response, the Princess Consort would have eagerly slashed and torn this face into tatters, would have stabbed and blinded his pair of bewitching eyes.

"I'm asking you; in one night, how many times did His Highness 'cherish' you?"

How many times?

Shen Yu had more or less passed the night in an unconscious stupor; how could he know how many times His Highness had taken him?

He can only shake his head.

"Speak! Have you become a mute?" The Princess Consort rebukes him furiously.

Shen Yu is afraid, and thus he braves the acute pain of his dislocated wrist as he gestures: "I cannot speak."

In what world would the Princess Consort be able to understand him? Assuming that Shen Yu was mocking her, she lashes him violently across the face, the slap sending out a clear and sharply loud "pa!" sound.

"I'm asking you something, what are you randomly gesturing for? Are you a mute?"

The corner of Shen Yu's mouth is split and some blood seeps out, but he is unable to deal with the issue and simply nods his head.

"You are really a mute? I have never heard that the daughter of the prefectural magistrate is a mute, ah . . . " Somewhat unprepared for this unexpected course of events, the Consort Princess begins to laugh heartily, "Hahaha, it turns out that what His Highness has taken in is a mute!"

The Consort Princess's mood steadies a little. In the end, this beauty who is perfect and without blemish still has a defect.

"Within the prince's mansion, I have come across all kinds of freakish things. But the only thing I haven't witnessed is a living mute, hahaha . . . "

While the surrounding people are laughing, Shen Yu lowers his head; he has grown more than accustomed to this type of sneering and pointing. Before, others would view him with the expression that one reserves for criminals and aberrations.

Her eyes cold, the Princess Consort ruthlessly declares, "Coquettish wench, you listen clearly. I am the 'rules' of this prince's mansion! You'd best be well-behaved; just watch what misfortune will befall you otherwise."

"I'm getting tired. In any case, this mute cannot call out his anguish, so just let this mute kneel then."

Shen Yu knows why the Princess Consort has decided to treat him this way. It is rather similar to that past incident when the two army guards—who had wanted him to strip his clothes, each desiring to monopolize Shen Yu for himself—got into a frenzied brawl.

The Princess Consort wants to monopolize the Northern Garrison Prince's affections, and thus she loathes Shen Yu.

No wonder the esteemed prefectural magistrate used him as a substitute to replace the young miss: the prince's mansion is a place of unending torment, the underworld.

Having been kneeling on the ground continuously, at dusk, Shen Yu registers the stabbing pain in his knees as well as the numbness of his heart and mind. He has long been able to see his fate; he has been aware since childhood that he is the "villain" and "calamity" that people speak of. At the age of twelve, he was set alight and nearly burned to death. Only once he was locked up in a courtyard, unable to go out, did people gradually forget about him.

Since his death in the prince's mansion can ensure the safety and soundness of his mother, no matter what, it will have been worth it.

Every bone in Shen Yu's body hurts. The Consort Princess spoke the truth: regardless of how much pain he is in, he is not capable of calling out.

As the world in front of his eyes darkens, and before he slowly loses consciousness, he seems to hear someone shouting.

"His Highness arrives!"