Chapter : Fifty Seven

Chapter : 57

Rishav's POV

"Don't you cross your limits Ravi Sharma!" Ravi's dad spoke at the top of his lungs, raising his index finger at his son.

Mr.Sharma was dressed in a suit with a loose tie. Seemed like he had returned from the business deal for some reason and had thought to surprise his kids by showing up without letting them know. Turns out Mr.Sharma got a bigger surprise.

I could see fellow classmates slowly crawl their way towards the exit. Of course, nobody would want a call to their parents about this whole situation.

"You have to get out of here!" Ananya whisper-shouted looking at me with wide eyes.

Nobody had noticed us upstairs yet. All eyes were focused on the havoc between the father son duo. I frowned at her words. I know I need to get out, but how do I do it? Ramp walk my way down the stairs and give a namaste as I exit? That'd be a disaster.

When I didn't make a move, Ananya grabbed my forearm and pulled me back into her bedroom with silent steps. She closed the door silently and looked around the room.

"You know better that I'm not leaving like a thief." I said as I noticed that her eyes lingered on the open window.

"Who said you're leaving like a thief? It's more leaving like a prince charming." She said and grinned at me.

I groaned out in defeat.

"If you don't leave through that window, I'm gonna push you outta it." She said and pointed at the glass paneled windows.

"Fine, but if I slip and fall, my soul is gonna haunt you forever." I said as I inspected the window.

"You following me everywhere I go? I won't mind that." She said and shrugged as she stood beside me.

"Ciao Adios." I said to her as I grabbed the window frame with both my hands and placed one foot after the other out of it.

There was some extended roof like structure beneath the window which seemed strong enough to take my weight. Taking a deep breath, I cautiously placed a foot, checking the frame. When satisfied, I placed the other foot and looked to my right where there was this thick pipe.

"Lord save me. What all this woman makes me do." I mumbled to myself as I opened my shoes and threw them down to the ground. I needed to be barefoot to have better grip.

"Hey, I heard what you said." Ananya's voice reached me.

"Guess what? I'm in the middle of something so can't talk right now Ananya." I replied as I held the pipe and slowly crawled down.

After what felt like an eternity, I made it to the ground. I jumped down the pipe when the distance was about a few feet. Landing on the grassy lawn, I looked up to find Ananya smiling at me from her window.

"I'm gonna call you to my room like this from now on." She said.

"Yeah, I would be thrilled to do that everyday." I replied sarcastically to her as I put on my shoes hastily.

***

"Okay kid, try keeping the hits more on the ground. The way you make the balls fly up in the air, you're risking your wicket. You might be caught out" Kiran told me as I hit a six, my seventeenth major hit since we began the practice session.

"What's the problem with big shots? The ball doesn't even fall close to the boundary." I said, trying to be reasonable.

"Don't overestimate yourself kid." Kiran said as he went back to typing on his phone. He had been supervising our practice and was dropping a few words of advice every now and then. I wondered why Kiran chose to become a selector and not play the game. He seemed young enough to be part of the game and the way he talked about cricket makes it evident that he loved this sport. Why wasn't he playing then?

"Rishav? You there?" Varun, a fellow player who was in the team with us, called out. He was waiting with the ball in his hand.

"Yeah," I said and returned to practice.

We ended the practice at around 5:30 in the afternoon. I picked up my cricket kit bag and looked around for Ravi. We were supposed to be going home together. Today, throughout the entire day, Ravi had been unusually quite and it felt so bad to see him that way. At first it was odd when he wouldn't talk to me or give that casual side way grin but it started getting more and more serious when he didn't interact with anyone to talk about anything all day. He'd speak only when something needed to be done in regard to the practice. His dad had caught him red handed doing a lot of other wrong stuff but I guess that slap he received amidst the crowd that night left a scar which wouldn't be going away any soon.

Once I spotted Ravi, I waved at him to grab his attention. He did look at me but didn't flash that smile. I tried my best and ignored his sullen face.

I got on the Thunderbird and waited for him to get on. We were soon driving through the evening Delhi traffic.

"You ready for tomorrow's finals right?" I tried to break the ice.

Though Ravi and I had made it to the State Team, he and I still had the Interschool Championship Finals to play in. It was due tomorrow and there was a buzz in the entire city about it. I'm sure huge crowds are gonna show up at the stadium tomorrow.

"Ravi?" I pressed my question when he didn't reply, sitting behind me all mute.

"Yeah, I think so." He replied silently.

Okay, this is the most I'm gonna press myself on his sullen mood. I can't keep on trying so hard. He'll come around when he feels better.

Ravi Sharma is darn adamant.