Chapter : Seventy Five

Chapter : 75

Rishav's POV

"Damn." Ravi spoke probably for the fifth time as he reread the emails.

"I know right!" I told him as I looked back at the laptop screen.

"Lemme read it properly." Ravi said and pulled the laptop from me, placing it onto his knees, he reread the mails.

"You've already checked it for like a dozen times." Ananya pointed out and came over to stand beside me.

"Congratulations!" Ananya spoke as she wrapped her arms around my torso in an attempt to hug me.

"Thanks..." I replied as I hugged her back. My voice lacking the enthusiasm that should've existed.

"You seem worried. I don't get it." Kabir said from my study table, strumming my guitar in a noisy way.

"Exactly! Three IPL Franchisees, Delhi Capitals, Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings want you! Do you not realize how big this is?" Ravi exclaimed as he read the mails again and again.

"Stop reading those now! You're driving me crazy." Ananya scolded as she shut the laptop while Ravi pouted childishly.

"I don't know..." I said as I settled down beside Kabir on the table, pulling the guitar from him I started strumming the chords mindlessly.

"What do you mean?" Ananya asked as she settled down beside Ravi on my bed.

"What I mean is that... Few weeks back, I was nobody in this game. You know, playing Interschool and Ranji and stuff. Then, I got an invitation from Delhi Capitals to join them. Now, I've got three of the best teams inviting me. I mean, how do I choose?" I asked.

There was pure silence in the room as everyone absorbed my words.

"You don't have to take the pain of choosing, kid." Kiran's voice reached us from the doorway.

All four pairs of eyes turned to look at him. He was standing there with an extremely happy face. I realized that he knew already about the emails. Of course, I had given him the access to my account way back when we were playing for Ranji so that he could manage any important mails.

"How's that gonna happen?" Ravi asked as he sat up on the bed.

"Firstly, congratulations on the big news kid!" Kiran said as he approached me and gave a tight hug.

Patting my back, he parted away and pulled the study chair. Settling down silently, he looked at me with a calm smile.

"When more than one franchise wants to have a player to play for them in Indian Premier League, they auction for the player. It's like a bidding game where the franchisees bid against one another to have that player in their team. The highest bidder gets the player. In simple words, you're gonna get rich, kid." Kiran explained.

There was pure silence which was followed by a chorus of happy curses and excited claps. Mom and Dad reached my doorway and peeked inside in curiosity. They must've thought what the matter was.

"Mr.Neil, we all want a grand party from your son ASAP!" Ravi yelled over all the voices in the room.

"What?" Dad asked, completely confused.

"For God's sake Rishav, tell them!" Kabir said and patted my shoulder.

Getting down from the desk, I placed the guitar down on the floor. Moving past my group, I stood in front of my parents. I noticed that Sameer had just entered the living room and was talking to Neha with a small smile, completely unaware about this whole IPL matter.

"Mom, Dad... I got trial invitations from Delhi Capitals, Mumbai Indians and... Chennai Super Kings to play in the IPL." I spoke slowly.

"What?!" Sameer exclaimed as he overheard my words.

Mom put a hand over her mouth to stop herself from gasping which was followed by a wide smile on her face. She looked back at Dad. He had a neutral face. I tried to comprehend the expression on his face but it wasn't possible. Dad slowly turned and walked back into his bedroom.

Mom and I exchanged a look, confused. I looked back at my friends for advice. Kiran gestured for me to go after him. Nodding, I walked into my parent's bedroom. Dad stood by the bed, looking out of the windows at the Delhi traffic down the street.

"Dad?" I asked as I stood behind him.

"I'm... This..." Dad fumbled with his words as he turned to look at me with glossy eyes. He was in tears.

"Thank you, son." Dad managed to speak.

Smiling, I hugged him. I could feel him sob into my shoulder.

"All these years... Your relatives told me that I was doing wrong by supporting your career option... In the past few months, I had started believing those people. That I was wrong. That it was all just a stupid dream of yours which will never come true." Dad spoke slowly, still hugging me hard.

"I'm so happy today... I'm glad that you proved me wrong. Thank you, son... Thank you." Dad said.

I felt my own eyes well up. It was a very rare moment for us where Dad spoke his heart out to me. After all, this was the biggest prize I could've got for all the years spent into Cricket. To hear these words was my dream. To see my parents proud of me.

"Aw, you guys make me want a hug as well." Ravi's voice reached us and before we could part and look at him, the idiot had already wrapped his arms around us in a tight caress.

Author's note:

Hello readers!
So Rishav has come a long way now. I wanted to ask you guys this:

Which team will Rishav end up in?
DC
MI or
CSK?

Comment down your choice, let's see who gets it right ;)

Stay happy and healthy!
Love,
Arhana❤️