Chapter : Sixty Eight

Chapter : 68

Rishav's POV

"My boys!" Ananya screamed at the top of her lungs as she advanced towards us, pushing people out of her way. The crowds threw her an amused look.

Ravi and I exchanged a glance as if wondering what to do with her super-excited self.

"You handle her. I'll act like I don't know who she is." Ravi whispered to me while I laughed.

Ananya held us both in her embrace, tightly. Her small frame couldn't hold the two of us properly but she did manage to hug us. Once she moved back and looked at our wide eyes and expressions did she realize how crazy she was acting at the railway station, being surrounded by so many people.

"Sorry." Ananya bit her tongue and held her ears like a little kid.

I smiled at her actions. She was forgiven already.

***

"Wake up!" A feminine voice reached my ears. I jerked up on my bed as the voice registered in my head. Sighing, I looked up at Neha, Sameer's wife.

It was really odd to call her my sister-in-law. Though she had been very polite to me despite my silence towards her. She had a small smile as she looked at me with her black orbs.

"What's the time?" I asked, disoriented as I gazed out at the window; it was all pitch black outside and I realized it was night already.

Ravi and I had arrived our homes at around 4:00 in the afternoon and I refused to eat anything since I needed to hit the bed and get some proper sleep. Now that I was feeling better, I wondered how long had I been sleeping.

"You've slept for hours now. It's 11:00 in the night." Neha answered my thoughts.

"Whoa." I said and got out of my bed.

Entering the living room, I frowned as I realized that there was nobody up. Mom and Dad were already asleep and Sameer? Well, he was sleeping like a sloth anyway. Why did Neha wake me up then?

"Here. Have something." Neha's voice reached me and I turned to find her standing by the dining table.

She held out a plate to me with the night's dinner. I wondered if she had stayed up for me. That was actually kind of her. Unlike my own brother who had went off to bed, Neha had thought over and decided to get some food into my system rather than letting me spend the entire night with an empty stomach.

"Um..." I started, trying to find the right words to thank her.

She smiled at me and pulled at my cheek as if I were a little kid. Before I could react, she left me by myself to devour on the egg curry and fried rice and headed to her and Sameer's bedroom.

***

Ananya's POV

"Where were you!?" I asked Rishav with a frown on my face as his lean and tall figure emerged from the far end of the corner.

He approached me with a look of apology and presented two ice cream cones as an explanation to his late arrival to the auditorium. I smiled as I realized that it was chocolate chip ice cream. He did remember about it.

"You're good with actions to express yourself rather than words." I said as I took one of the cones with a smile.

"Well, I know that. Now let's go inside.  You have a debate to win!" Rishav reminded me.

How did I instantly forget about that debate? Does Rishav's presence have such an affect on me? Duh.

Nodding, I entered the auditorium while Neil followed my tracks as we approached students from our school. I was representing our school and had been practicing pretty well for this debate. To overcome nervousness and not faint out onstage like my brother, I had kept telling myself to keep my calm and be positive. Ravi, Kabir, Diya and Raghav were seated among the audience. I even spotted Abhishek with Diya. If you forgot who he is, well, he's that guy who had blocked our view with his flag the other day in the stadium and Diya had ended up yelling at him for it. Now, they are inseparable souls to be frank.

"All the best Queen." Rishav whispered to me and pecked a swift kiss on my cheek before walking away towards the group of friends to join them.

Taking a deep breath, I looked up at the stage where the last moment checks were being carried out and headed for the participants section. The debate began soon and damn, the opponents were really well prepared. I was participating for the house which meant I was supporting the agenda, demonetisation.

I presented my speech pretty confidently and there was a small applause running through the crowd as I ended. Ravi was clapping the hardest. Then the opposition began to cross question my statements. On one such time, a really strong opponent came up the dias, Umang Roy.

Looking at me straight in the eye, he began speaking.

"If I'm not wrong, Ms.Ananya Sharma here had stated that demonetisation aimed to bring down corruption in the system. I'd like to ask her a question." Umang spoke and continued after a moment " During the events of Demonetisation, many poor farmers had committed suicides for they could not get changes for 500 and 1000Rs notes in the chaos. Do you think this was fair? Innocent lives lost?" 

There was pin drop silence for a moment after which Umang's supporters went haywire as they applauded and whistled, already declaring his victory.

Umang smirked at me and walked down the dias to allow me to speak. I took a deep breath as I stood on the dias. Taking a look at the audience, or more particularly at Rishav and Ravi, I thought and framed my words.

"As Mr.Umang Roy pointed out a so called flaw in my statement, I am very confident that a lot of Indian farmers, especially the poor ones, run their families with mere amounts of money. Then I don't think they will be possessing such big denomination currencies. As far as it is concerned, Mr.Roy has been wrong on his statement because the farmers earn in 100Rs denominations and these notes were not demonetised." I spoke slowly.

There was a moments silence after which the entire crowds began applauding crazily. I looked at Umang who had a scowl worth capturing. I turned a look at Rishav and he was smiling with admiration.