Chapter : Sixty

Chapter : 60

Rishav's POV

It's Tuesday today and I'm at school, attending classes probably after a whole week. I'm sure a whole lot of assignments and chapters have piled up by now for me to complete. Well, playing Interschool does charge you with this kind of circumstances.

The news of DPS winning the Finals on Sunday had been the biggest talk of the day. Our team had pretty good bowlers and with a little assistance from Kabir had done exceptionally well in taking down the wickets. St.Louis lost by ten runs. Crowds of St.Louis supporters had started leaving the stadium even before the match ended. They already knew that humiliation of defeat was on its way and chose better to leave silently and let the loosing team face it all.

The moment I walked into the school campus, everyone kept on congratulating me with bright smiles while I responded with a little nod. This scenario wasn't new to me. It happens almost every year. What was new to me was how Fiona hugged me out of the blue when I walked into the classroom. I was thrown off guard as she wrapped her arms around my neck, giving me a tight embrace. I knew I was going to get some reactions, but this was over the top.

We stood like that for probably a while. My hands glued to my sides and stiff posture. It was a really awkward moment. She moved back as she looked up at me with a big smile.

"Congratulations!" Fiona said.

I barely passed a smile. More scared than excited from that incident, I silently walked away from her and headed towards Ravi and Ananya. Ravi's expression clearly stated how thoroughly he had enjoyed the scene. Ananya too had a smile as if she found it darn funny.

"You've got quite a number of die-heart fans, don't you?" Ravi asked.

I scowled at his remark and settled down beside Ananya. From the corner of my eye, I noticed the gleaming silver of the necklace around her neck that I had gifted her on her birthday.

"You still have it on?" I asked, amused.

"Yep. Means a lot to me and I don't wanna end up loosing it somewhere carelessly." Ananya replied.

Our conversations got interrupted as the principal, Mr. Wilson entered the class. Silence enveloped us and students took their seats quickly. Ravi, who had been sitting on the desk casually kept down on that desk. He didn't care who had walked into the class. It was all a usual happening.

Mr.Wilson looked around the class and stopped short at Ravi who was still seated on the desk. Kabir, sitting in front of us, tried to hush him down to the seat but Ravi didn't give a heck.

"Mr.Sharma, resume to your seat. Now." Mr.Wilson commanded in his deep voice.

Ravi sighed and casually got off the desk, sitting down on the seat. All this while Ananya had her head low. I'm sure she thought her brother was unbelievable.

***

"And now, I'd like to call the captain of our school cricket team to speak a few words." Mrs.Arora said as she moved aside the dias, offering the mic to Ravi.

It was an assembly called by the Principal in regards to our victory and to 'instill pride and inspire the students'. Whatever that meant.

Ravi walked up the stage in his own way, taking his time and reaching the dias with slow steps. He didn't hurry up the stage like usual kids. Ravi Sharma demanded attention wherever he went. His hands brushing his dark brown hair to the side as he stood on the dias. I swear I could hear a few girls around me start breathing at a faster rate.

Ravi looked around the assembly with his brown eyes, taking in everything. He cleared his throat once, trying to grab the attention of the boys who had turned away in jealousy and the teachers who didn't like Ravi for his attitude.

"DPS Defenders did it. Just like every other year, we stole the show." Ravi started.

The assembly hooted and clapped, mostly the girls.

"I'm really thankful to the administration for making a  Cricket Team to participate in the Interschool competition." Ravi said and looked at the school coach with a smile.

"I'd also like to thank our principal, Mr.Wilson. I wanna tell him-" Ravi was saying when the faulty mic probably gave him a hard electric shock.

"O bhen****" Ravi cursed out loud in Hindi into the mic.

The entire assembly had tossed away the silence and everyone started laughing as the local curse echoed through the speakers, reaching out every ear.

The students started chanting 'Once more, once more.' as the teacher tried and shushed them. The administration staff too was laughing by now and principal Wilson's face was perfect to be captured in a photograph. He had his face turned red with anger whole Ravi passed him a sheepish grin full of joy.