keith 3

"will you ever stand still?"

keith bounds down the stairs at a child's pace. you touch your temple and follow him back onto the street. the two of you have just come from the photography store and he is already fiddling with his new polaroid camera. it is your gift to him, as promised, for your one year anniversary.

he hums and calls your attention. then when your face is turned, he snaps a picture and the film spits out.

"look at my expression!" you complain when the image finally develops. "keith!" you can't count the amount of times you've screamed his name over one year.

"it's cute, lovey, very cute. i'm going to keep it right here." he pats the pocket of his yellow button up. "now, what next?"

you settle down and take his hand. "we're going out to eat, remember? it's a surprise."

"right . . . oh, look at that!" he points to a bent mailbox with graffiti on its side and snaps a photograph.

you shake your head; he's wasting his film and it's not cheap. the first polaroid joins the other in his pocket. and then more until you've reached the restaurant. he's attracted by anything: little old women shopping for hats or the sheen of an oil puddle from someone's car.

"will you ever stand still?" you ask, but he is too busy comparing all his photos. he's making goofy faces, squinting as he flicks through. you know he can tell you're watching him. "hey, keith," you try to grab his attention again. he grins with his long hair in his face, then notices the restaurant you're gesturing too. his expression grows even warmer.

he told you it was his favorite place to eat when he was younger. since you're in wembley with him you don't  mind a bit of meat and potatoes.

"doll," he coos. "you're the sweetest bird. get in front of the sign, now, i wanna get this."

you smile, habitually, and adjust the neck of your sweater before standing still and looking straight into the lens. although keith gets on your nerves, sometimes more than you can bear, he keeps you curious, just a little carefree to keep from going under.

"alright," he shouts and the shutter clicks. keith pulls the camera from his face to retrieve your portrait and get a good look at it.

this time you don't really care to see it. "i like being your model," you gush and hold out your hand.

"wait," he looks over at you. "do you have lipstick?"

you giggle, "yeah," and hand keith the tube. before you can stop him, he applies the red shade all over his lips and presses a kiss to the photograph at the bottom edge. only then does he take your hand and return your makeup.

"moonie!"

"what?"

"we can't go in like that." you whine and swing his arm.

"oh come on. i know you love it when i make people laugh."

"i do, but . . ."

"fine. it's only because i love you." he groans loudly and wipes his mouth all over the yellow button up's cuff. a huge smudge stain takes over the fabric and all you can do is watch.

"come on." you tug him forward after he's finished. he chatters along, already starting out with menu recommendations, things you just have to try.

his red-stained mouth moves as quick as his thoughts. you can't get enough of him.

( for davystambourine )