pete 4

"guess what?"

"guess what?"

it's the middle of the night, the bedroom a dark purple and tinged with slight moonlight.

pete sleeps beside you, snoring. you're desperate to lull yourself into slumber after the fourth bathroom visit of the night. no one explained this part of pregnancy to you. . .

you turn to face pete and find his lips parted and hand slipped in the space between the two of you. your fingers reach out and draw light, airy lines across the back of his skin.

"pete," you say suddenly, a bounding sound in the silence.

he doesn't wake; you ache further toward him and brace his shoulder, shaking it a bit and calling him again.

this time he shudders and opens his eyes, dark blue in the night absence. immediately, he scrambles up and grabs at you:

"did your water break? are you alright?"

a small smile, "i can't sleep. i missed you." with him conscious and aware, you grasp and snuggle up to his body.

"oh, okay." pete chuckles in an awkward manner and makes sure you're comfortable before conforming to your shape. he's such a good warmth that you exhale and force your legs between his.

"i'm sorry for getting you up; you looked so . . . care-free. i just knew i wouldn't be able to get any sleep without you."

"don't worry. this time is difficult." his words are diffused with a yawn; the hot breath hits the top of your head.

"no, i don't want you to worry. i want you relaxed always. you deserve rest."

"thank you, dear. really. now shush so i can get that rest."

you bite your lip and kiss the arm wrapped around you. stillness thrums through your bedroom and you become very aware of your pregnant stomach pressed against pete's waist.

"pete?" you squeak.

"yes?" he's mildly annoyed, it's cute. you can imagine his furrowed brows and tight-shut eyes.

you pitter out a pattern across his arm with your fingertips. "guess what?"

"what?"

"we're going to have a baby." you wiggle and manage to find his face: fresh and still. with your words, his eyes open and he gives a love-flushed smile. it's sugary, melty on your pregnancy brain that finds special appreciation in the moon and sappy love songs.

"i know," he whispers and gives a gentle peck to your head. "i know, love."

( For Magiuneration )