PAIN KILLER ; kuwonu x payne

2.3k words
⚠️ none

he was her past,
but he'd be damned if
she found herself another future

!(BLACK LIGHTNING CROSS-OVER)!

"so everybody got something from the meta-human fairy except me, huh?" jalyn asked rhetorically as she watched zion jump up onto her roof. he chuckled, sitting down next to her and putting his knees up.  he had called her up a while ago to tell her he had to show her something. low and behold, he was another meta. just like her brother issa, kind of like...never mind.

"hey, you got all the power you need right here." he pressed his finger against her head, getting her to swat his hand away. "thing so big it's its own encyclopedia." jalyn pushed him, rolling her eyes at his teasing. he smiled, moving closer to her and placing a kiss onto her forehead. "shut up." she mumbled.

"look on the bright side, now you got a literal strong man behind you." he nudged her, a playful smirk on his lips. "mmhm, you ain't that strong, you know?" he moved his head closer to hers, soon resting his forehead against her own. "hate much?"

"i'm just saying, why does it feel like everyone i know has some special ability and i got nothing?...like i'm not special?" zion pulled back, hand cupping her cheek as he tilted her head up so she could look at him.

"you are special. to me, your mom, issa—everybody. no metahuman strength will change that." jalyn smiled, soon feelings his lips on her own. she kissed him back, holding his wrist. she let a moment pass before pulling away, biting her lip to contain the big smile she wanted to let loose.

"so besides super strength, what else can you do?" zion stood up, dusting off his pants. "do you trust me?" jalyn raised a brow, staring at his extended hand. "y-yes?" she took hold of his hand, watching the smirk come back.

in a blink of an eye, she was looking down at the highway, from the top of the freeland water tower. "holy sh—." she grabbed onto zions hoodie, trying to gain her balance. once she did, she was amazed.

"how the hell did you do that?" she looked up at him, smiling as he squeezed her hand. "hold on, babe."

he did it once more, now taking them on top of garfield. "ta da!" zion clapped, turning to see the shocked look on her face. "so you can teleport too!?" he nodded.

"isn't it amazing?" jalyn nodded, looking down at the students leaving school. "yeah—oooh is this your superhero origin story? you gon be like superman or something?" she looked back at him, seeing him smile. "don't know, maybe." he pushed his hands into the pocket of his hoodie.

jalyn approached him, putting her arms around him. he looked down at her, poking at the dimple in her cheek. "if it is, will you be my lois lane?" he asked as he rubbed her back, looking out at the setting sun. she cuddled more into his chest, choosing to not say anything; deciding words would be too much in the moment. she instead let herself settle; being content in his arms.

____

it was around ten-thirty when zion got them back to jalyn's roof. they had spent the last four hours on the roof of garfield, watching the sun go down and the night sky blanket over the city of freeland.

"you got to admit, having powers is going to change you." jalyn now sat beside her window with zion's head on her lap, watching as zion messed around with his hoodie's drawstrings. he chuckled, shaking his head. "i'm still going to be me, jay." she internally rolled her eyes. a sentence she's heard one too many times.