A SWEET ESCAPE ; mara*

2.2k words
⚠️ swearing, smut

that saying about old habits,
how they can never die

nick put his notepad on the coffee table in front of him, leaning back into the couch. he watched as the producer assigned to him, cash, made adjustments to the song, headphones on and in the zone. as he waited, he picked up his phone and went to reply to texts. most were work related, but one stood out amongst the cluster of names.

riley
your packages keep coming to my house, fool

riley
where you at so i can bring them?

studio
read 9:51

he put his phone in his pocket and looked up to see the producer was finished. "aye man, you got a hit right here." he turned in his chair to speak to nick, his compliment getting him to smile. "appreciate it, cash. thanks for your help." he dapped him up.

cash nodded, turning back around to pack up his things. he had been in the room with nick for over an hour, laying down vocals and piecing together his final product. They only had until ten together, managing to get everything done in the hour-and-a-half slot.

"you still staying?" cash asked, looking back at nick as he put his laptop in it's case. "yeah, going to work on some other stuff. had some ideas for a song." cash nodded, zipping up his backpack. "well, when you're ready to lay it down you got my number. i'll see you." he dapped him once more, saying goodbye as he walked out the studio door.

nick let out a sigh, taking a moment before getting up and going to the table. he took up his laptop that was closed off to the side, opening it and going to his file of music.

he played one of his instrumentals, hearing the opening right before the beat drop. he had gotten it sent to him by one of his friends, brandon, being told by the young man that he had the vocals to complete it. nick set the instrumental to be on a loop, allowing for him to listen to it continuously while he came up with lyrics.

he nodded his head, singing a set of lyrics that he had written down back when he first heard the beat.

"this place is never what it seems
take me out, la
take me out of la
this place will be the end of me
take me out, la
take me out of la, yeah"

he smiled, realizing how hard the lyrics went with the part he sang them over.

"you tryna leave?" he heard from behind him. he turned to the door, seeing riley with two boxes in her hands and a smirk on her face. "judging from your lyrics, of course." she said. nick shrugged, watching her put the boxes on the couch. "maybe. kinda tired of the whole los angeles scene, you know?" riley nodded, going to sit in the chair next to him.

"i feel you. it's easier to go back to the norm than adjust to change." she said, getting him to smile. "so much easier. but, yeah what you heard is all i have to music right now. there's some other lyrics but i haven't decided on placement yet." he turned around to grab his notebook, looking at chunks of lyrics across the page. riley looked down at the page.

"sing some." she smiled at him, turning to his laptop and starting his music from the beginning. she hit pause, looking at him and waiting. "i-i don't think that's a good idea." he looked down at the book then back up at her.