The Finale

"Ricky..."

"I don't want to talk. I still can't fully process it. One minute she's there and the next minute she isn't..." I replied, going to my room.

"I know...It's all a bit too much for me too, son. I just wish..."

"You could do it all over again?" I asked, stopping at my door. He nodded.

"I know I was a bit...harsh before, but I don't blame you. Or Mom, for that matter. I guess, I should have been more understanding." I told him, holding back tears. 

"No, son, I'm sorry. I should have kept my word and let her work things out with you. Instead, I just picked a fight and now I can't even do anything about it. She's...gone." He responded, not being able to hold back his own tears. Soon, I was crying with him.

"You okay, bud?" My dad asked, walking into my room. It had been a couple hours and I was still struggling a bit. I was even contemplating not going to school the next day.

"Not really, but I'm managing." I told him, shrugging.

"You know. Carol sent me a message just now. She just wanted to check in and make sure everything was okay..." He said, sitting on the edge of my bed.

"And?" I asked, knowing there was more.

"And...to say that they were on the way to the airport, to drop off Nini. Nini was really hoping you'd stop by before she had to leave." He continued, while I messed with the strings of my hoodie.

"Dad, I can't."

"Why?" He questioned, raising his eyebrows.

"There's this whole thing with some guy named Emmett. It's complicated." I tried to explain, getting up.

"Tell me, Ricky, is this situation more important than saying goodbye to your girlfriend before she goes back to Denver?" He responded, as I went to grab my skateboard. 

"Please, Dad, just let me deal with this on my own." 

"Ricky..." He tried to say, but I just grabbed my skateboard and left. "Ricky!"

"Roses are red, violets are blue (check)
My heart is dead, I'm such a fool
Why did I fall for you?
I gave it all for you
Roses are red (check), violets are blue (check)
My heart is dead (check), I'm such a fool (check)
Why did I fall for you?
I gave it all for you..."

"Ricky?"

Pausing my music, I stopped my board and turned around. "Red?" 

"Ricky, what are you doing out here? I thought you'd be at the airport." He replied, tilting his head.

"Nini and I are kinda going through something." I told him, sitting next to him on his porch. 

"Again? What did you do this time?" He questioned, rolling his eyes.

"I did nothing. Nini has this "friend" named Emmett..." I started to explain, but Red just waved me off.

"Ricky, if this thing you're going through has to do with Nini having a guy friend in Denver, then you are a fucking idiot. You have been through so much and you're gonna throw it all away because of some jealousy?" 

"I...."

"Am an idiot. Yes. Now, can you get over yourself for a minute and think things through?" He responded, glaring at me.

"Red, my mom just...died. She got in an accident and now she's...gone. I really can't think things through right now, okay?" I told him, shaking my head.