xxi. À L'HÔPITAL

SHE WENT TO VISIT EVERYDAY AFTER SCHOOL. That is, if you define a visit by standing outside a closed door with a terrible feeling within. Everyday was one stop closer to the decaying doorknob. It was nearly Christmas. Dallas was still in Tulsa General and Charlotte still stared at his door.

There she stood and Dallas smirked, watching from his wheelchair at the end of the hallway. She never knocked. Dally knew she was there, he waited for that knock. He stayed inside his room and waited for the first half of the past three months. 

Then he waited in the hallways, hiding in plain sight. Charlotte did different things to avoid looking like an escaped mental patient to the rest of staff. His decaying doorknob still had her in a trance. 

Dally slowly wheeled his way up to Charlotte, smirking his devilish smirk. "I always knew you had a screw loose, but I never thought you'd be more attracted to a doorknob than me."

Chills ran up her bony spine hearing the voice that always shoved needles into her heart. There he was, shirtless and emaciated. The shell of the most reputable JD in town in a wheelchair. The wildfire of a criminal's aura dwindled to a fledgling spark.

"Staring ain't po-lite, y'know." 

"I wasn't-"

"You've stared almost every day for three months." Dally chuckled, licking his teeth. "Come on, sweets, let's go have a chat." He wheeled into his room, leading Charlotte inside. "Shut the blinds, will ya?"

She did as told, still as obedient as she was months before.

"So how's Mommy?" Dallas asked, lighting a cigarette in front of the no-smoking sign. The rebel remained.

"That isn't your business."

"She's still a street walker, huh?" He chuckled, casually blowing out his smoke

"It isn't your business." Charlotte reiterated, her tone firmer

Dally leaned in and stared into her soul. "Char, if I didn't fuck you the day we met and I finally did, but you can't come visit til' now, even when you're addicted to me... your business is mine."

"You don't own me." She whispered

"Never said I did." The boy smiled, flicking his ashes, "Why didn'tcha call?"

"Why didn't you? You know my number?"

He laughed and she observed his scars. Small scars in the shape of bullets. "We'll call it even."

"When are you going home?"

"I ain't goin' home." Dallas said, putting the Kool out

"Where are you going?"

"Away, I don't got no reason to stay."

"I thought you liked me being around."

"I do, but why stay when you can't open a door?"

Charlotte bit her lip and bowed her head. "I'm sorry," she said softly, apologizing. Apologizing for what? Dallas's door opened and a redheaded nurse walked in. She looked surprised to see Charlotte, unpleasantly surprised. 

"Hey, Myrtle, y' mind comin' by a little later?" Dally winked

The bippy woman nodded, glaring at Charlotte one last time before leaving. "Who is she?"

"A nurse who helps me out." Dal replied, smirking. "Did me a favor when I couldn't move too well." He winked while a bubble of anger brewed in her brain.

"I wish I stopped you from going to the rumble." She said suddenly, unsure where these words came from. She didn't know what brought her to say this, why these words came out of her voice.

"How come?"

"So moaning Myrtle wouldn't look like she wants to claw my eyes out." Was what Charlotte wanted to say, instead she said, "Because... you know, you wouldn't be stuck here." 

"Lottie, you should be glad I did." Dally smiled, his attitude completely shifting. His manner changed and he finally sat upright, as though his interest was finally captured.

"Why?" She replied, gnawing at her lip. He played with the tires of the chair, stroking it in thought the way he'd stroke a naked lovers' back.

"Because, doll," He began, beckoning her over like a puppy. Charlotte stayed where she was. Who was she to just give up after all this time? "If I didn't go, I'd find out Johnnykid was dead and I'd kill myself proper."

"Are you still gonna do it... suicide I mean."

Dallas's posture failed again and he went from his wheelchair to his bed with minimal effort. "C'mon, Lottie, I thought y' knew me better than that. I take things day by day." he sighed and grabbed another cigarette. He chuckled to himself before lighting it. "Y'know, I usually have better bed manners than that night."

"I should hope so." Charlotte breathily laughed, sitting in a chair beside his bed

"Maybe I'll get another chance t' prove I do." He smirked, taking a drag

"I thought you were leaving town as soon as you possibly could."

Dallas blew out the smoke and shrugged, finally looking at Charlotte. Looking her in the eyes. And with a sinister drawl, he replied, "You know I always got time for my favorite girl."