Chapter 2

The robber from downstairs runs upstairs and into the bathroom. My partner runs after him and signals to me to follow. Adrenaline is rushing through me. I don't want to show anxiousness and tell him no because he is my partner and it is my first day and yes - I have been trained for this. I run after him into the bathroom. Briccs is jumping out the top window so I climb on top a toilet and follow through. We are now running down the alley at the back of the bank in pursuit of a criminal.It is dark and all I can hear is my heavy boots on the ground step into litter and a puddle of what I hope is water now and again. It smells of sewerage and oil. The alley is in the middle of two every high and large buildings so there's no room for sun, it's dark and cold it's cold. I take out my handheld transceiver,
"Robber on the run in at the alley at the behind the back, back up needed, shots fired in basement of bank, casualties unknown.
"Yes! I feel myself getting into work now.

Briccs catches up to him at a dead end. Nowhere to go. He grabs the man by his hood and tries to detain him. I am just watching, pointing my gun at the robber. What now ? I'm in full panic mode. The robber wrestles Briccs and throws him to the ground and starts punching him in the face then grabs his gun. I fire shots in the air but he does not seem alarmed. Seriously am I invisible?
"Stop, You're under arrest!" I yell out.
The robber is choking Briccs with his left heavy boot. Briccs is laying senseless struggling for breath. His brown eyes are slowly moving to the back of his head, he is a built man but he stands no chance when he is down and in this position.
The robber looks to me his gun pointed to me and Bricc's gun pointed to him. I am crippled by fear, seriously where is the backup?

" Drop your weapon" he says to me.

"No, listen to me there is no way out, there is a whole backup of officers on their way so if you kill us you going to jail for double homicide. You don't kill us you going to jail for robbery and resisting arrest, so I suggest you do the math and figure out how long you want to go to jail for, your choice. "

I'm back again, I'm that woman I was at training, I am an officer of the law. Briccs is running out of breath so I should make this quick.

" No!" he shouts. "No! It wasn't supposed to end like this, I'm not done he's going to kill my family "

" Listen here I am Officer Xané I don't know what you are talking about but release my partner I'm sure I will find a way to help you, just drop your weapons."

"No it's over it's over" he repeatedly says. I cannot tell if Briccs is breathing anymore, as I step closer he clicks his gun off safety and that's when a gunshot goes off and I drop my gun out of shock. My face and uniform is splattered in blood. I am frozen and all of a sudden it takes up a lot of energy to breathe.

He falls to the ground. I shot him,I killed him. He's dead, gone . My hands are shaking and my ears start tearing up just staring at the life less body next to Briccs, Briccs...
"Oh my gosh Briccs are you okay, Officer Briccs!" I yell, my voice is shaken as I try and get a response.

"Yes yes" he says trying to catch his breath coughing "after what you've done you can call me Levine or Briccs whatever suits you partner" I smile at his words.

I carry him up while trying to avoid looking at the man I just shot. When Briccs is finally up I take a look at the man I just murdered one last time.Black male looks like in his black boots, black baggy jeans, black hoodie and black baseball jacket ,he was dressed for his funeral.
I remember my training :always memorise how the culprit looks, dead or alive.
Police officers start swarming in, right on time.

AUTHORS NOTE: What do you think of her first day on the job?
A handheld transceiver is a 'walkie-talkie'
Please vote and comment 😉
-Simply_Gee