Chapter 3

"Yesterday there was a bank robbery in Cape Bank. Three police officers and the manager were shot dead by a robber in the basment and both robbers shot dead one of them by the late officer Smith and the other one shot dead in the back alley by officer Xané. The two robbers have been identified as Signor Mel and Vusi Giyani respectively. Captain Balie has released a statement stating that he is heartbroken due to the casualties of his officers and the funerals will soon be announced. This is Samanther Summer reporting from Eye witness news - Cape Town. "

"Nadine hurry up we don't want you being late now do we!" I called to my daughter while trying to focus on the news and make lunch at the same time.

"Who's ready for the their first day at school in Grade three." I turn around to face the sight of brown fuzzy uncombed hair, untucked shirt and socks not levelled.
"Not you obviously" I answer my own question. She looks up at me through her big glasses put down on the bridge of her nose and I do the same with my spectacles. She's a spitting image of me. Same brown fuzzy hair except mine is straightend and always in a bun and same brown eyes.

"I don't want to go to school what if they don't like me? I wish we were still in Joburg with daddy" I sigh at the thought of her father who is now in jail. I ignore her because she's too young to have this conversation with

"Come on Nadine it's going to be fun you'll make plenty of friends."

"Jy kan nie Seker wees nie mommy "

"See you already catching up on the Cape language the only reason you won't make friends at school is if you go looking like that, now come sit down and let me make comb your hair so you can look pretty."

****
"Goodmorning Jamie"
Briccs greets me as I enter the police station. He has a bruises around his eye.

"I'm suprised you showed up today shouldn't you be in recovery"

"Nope it's all part of the job I'd lose my mind watching cop shows on Netflix"
I break out in laughter.

"Copy that" I say and he chuckles.
The atmosphere in the station is so tense and depressing. Candles lit everywhere in memory of the officers. I don't mean to be insensitive but this a fire hazard and I don't want to be reminded of death after yesterday.

"Xané, Briccs meeting in the conference room in five" Captain says as he heads to the conference room.

"Yesterday, three of men died on the job, this is a very tough time for us as you know we already have a shortage as it is so we will be doing a lot more work. Of course we expect full attendance at their funerals next week Saturday on the 22nd.

" Moving on" the captain looks straight at me, I'm a bit anxious because he hasn't spoken to me since yesterday,well since I was recruited.

"I think we ought to give Officer Xané a round of applause" I cringe at the gesture.

"Not only did she save her partners life but she did also stop the robber-even if he is dead. "

Everyone turns  back at me and starts clapping, ugh why did I sit at the back. Besides why is killing someone an achievement bunch of sick bastards while I suffer in trauma go ahead and clap.

"Right meeting adjourned" I'm thankful at the Captains words.

"Xané in my office" The Captain calls out to me.

"Good luck" Briccs say as he punches my arm
Thanks that's very encouraging.

Thank you for reading. Please that tiny star at the bottom. Press it