Chapter 13

Briccs and I run to the car and the car door falls victim to his anger as he slams it. He drives into full acceleration so much that we may be mistaken for street racers.

"What the hell Briccs, slow down!" I yell but my voice is drowned by the loud noise caused by the engine and acceleration.

"I received a call in distress, house party, Mitchell's Plain, bunch of scared girls."

"Okay I'm pretty sure those girls want alive cops on the scene so if you could stop driving like a mad man that would be great." Before he can respond he swerves on the road and I grab onto my seatbelt making sure it's secure.
"House parties happen all the time, just young people partying it's quite normal you know I went to house parties, if cops were called it was because of a fight or noise levels so you don't have to tear the road apart."

"Damn Xané don't patronise me, shut up!" His voice pierces through my chest and I immediately look outside the window feeling very afraid that I'm breathing too loudly. This party better be worth it.

I try to distract myself thinking what could be in those files and how I'm going to try my best attempts to avoid Captain Cooper. The awkward silence besides the loud car from drag racing does not make it easy to think clearly, it doesn't get any better.
We enter the township of Mitchell's Plain, it's very evident when Briccs slows down, not by choice but because of the massive potholes. I immediately think back to the statistics I've read in cases about this place. Two hundred and forty six attempted murder cases, one thousand five hundred and seventy for common assaults, two hundred and seventy five cases of illegal possessions of a firearms and ammunition and four thousand nine hundred and thirty drug related cases. I can't be the only police officer who says a prayer before I enter these parts.
As we drive down the streets, the neighbourhood seems seemingly okay, there's nothing violent looking about it from a bypasser's view. Sometimes these numbers really makes one forget that people who try and make an honest living still live here.

We turn into a street where there are a lot of cars on the road and music blasting. That must be the house.
People are huddled around a circle on the street right in front of the house and they are yelling. Bricss parks right next to the group that has now separated and some have run away once the blue and red lights came into vision. As we get out the car and not a millisecond later a man, actually a boy, very thin, no hair, actually looks like a street kid is thrown onto the hood of the car by a taller, muscular man than him. The taller man is about to punch him but he stops when he realises who's pointing his gun at him. And which car he's fighting on top of. Briccs is aiming at the taller guys head while I'm placing my hand on my gun. The situation itself doesn't seem that much of a threat to start shooting.

The older guy let's go of the boy and runs away, he is eventually followed by a yelling Briccs telling me to go check inside the house for the person who called. The crowd has their eyes glued to the action movie being shot in front of them. Most of these people look like they're in their early twenties, some may be teenagers. Just the type to do house parties.

I try not to step onto the broken beer bottles on the ground. My sense of smell is intoxicated by mariguana and cigarette. I raise my badge and place my hand on my gun. More people start running out of the house. I'm stopped by a girl who is dressed in the minimum, she has rainbow coloured braids, carrying a backpack, she's in tears,her make up is smeared all over her face.
"We need your help!"
She runs into the bathroom and I follow her in a very messed up bathroom with blood and pills on the floor. On the floor lays another young girl, with foam building up at her mouth, she looks like she's having a seizure but the blue pills give me reason to believe it's because of the drugs . I'm shocked at the sight and immediately tell the other girl to call the ambulance.
The girl on the floor looks really young, she isn't dressed like she came to a house party, her white tracksuit has turned brown and she has blood surrounding her legs. Her hair is short and uncombed and she dosent really look like she's taken a bath. I've been to a couple of house parties to know that this girl didn't plan to be here.

I carry her in my arms, she's a lightweight and I'm scared by the thought that she might be really young. I carry her to the couch as she is falling out of consciousness. There's nothing you can really say to someone in this condition that's going to keep them awake. They not awake even if their eyes are open.

By this time, everyone is outside except for the few people passed out on the floor due to alcohol or drugs.
"The ambulance will be on their way." The girl comes back

"Why didn't you call them earlier?"

"I was scared, they wanted me to leave her."

"Who?" I raise my hands in the air waving them frantically, the annoyance in my voice quite evident.
She looks down and starts looking around. Before she says anything Briccs storms in the living room with the boys who were fighting.
The smaller, scrawny one immediately runs to the girl passed out on the couch.

"What happened?" His voice filled with fear and desperation.

"That's what I'm trying to figure out." I look at the girl I was engaging in conversation with. This causes everyone to look at her, the older guy starts coughing and her body literally stiffens  and she looks down again.
I look at Briccs and look at the older guy again.
Briccs nods and leaves with him. Leaving me in the room with the girl, the younger boy and the unconscious girl.

"What are your names?"
"Camryn" the girl responds.

"My name is Wayde" the boy responds. I nod at the both of them.

"She's my sister." he adds pointing to the the unconscious girl.
"Nelly"

"They're my cousins." Camryn adds, which earns an eyeroll from Wayde.

"Okay can you tell me what happened here."

"Well it's hard to say."
"I'll tell you what happened" , Camryn is interrupted by Wayde
"This girl told us to come and help us sell drugs for her to make money on the side, worst mistake of my life by the way, and then all of a sudden the incredible hulk is beating me up because he thought I was stealing from him, I mean I sold it so the money belongs to me, doesn't it. Before I know it my sister is laying unconscious after I left her alive and well." He is in tears when he starts mentioning his sister.

"Please go to the other police officer Wayde, his outside, thank you I'll get to you very soon."
He leaves the house, leaving me with Camryn.

"Camryn" she remains looking down and starts wiping away tears I didn't know she had.

"Camryn, what do you know, I know you are scared but what is happening."

"She was raped, and it's all my fault, I just wanted them to make extra money and now she was drugged and raped."
Camryn breaks down and kneels down next to Nelly holding her hand. I watch the scene that unfolds in front of me. I forget that house parties can get so bad and girls can get raped.

I'm standing in the middle of crime scene, in  Mitchell's Plain, watching a drugged and raped unconscious girl lay on the couch, her cousin crying next to her. I wish Briccs had driven faster.

I'm so sorry for the late update. I've been back at school. I know right in this corona and I had to go back to school. 😬I hope we are all social distancing and keeping clean and safe and. Please do vote and comment, ❤️