Chapter 6

"No, no he's going to kill my family!"

"Jamie help me, he's going to kill me" I hear Briccs yelling in the distance.
I shoot an infinite number of times, my bullets are not finished

"Kill him! Kill him! -

My family is dying!" The yelling voices pierce my ears and break my heart all at the same time. I keep on shooting.
The voices are not dying
He is not dying, why is he not dying? He pulls the trigger and shoots me in my chest.

I wake up at the sound of the loud gunshot and I'm panting, covered in sweat,gripping the shirt covering my chest. I look around my room - nobody. Just a nightmare I think to myself. I reach under my pillow for my phone and
it switches on,04:00 am. Only an hour before my alarm rings. I'm too freaked out to go back to sleep and I don't want to sit here and think about how I killed someone and reminisce on his last words because I will drive myself crazy, so I go to the living room to watch TV. I switch it on  to find cartoons that Nadine left on. I decide to just watch them because they calm my nerves - don't judge me we all watch cartoons after horror movies and The Amazing World Of Gumball is a great way to forgot about my nightmare. I find myself laughing at the dumb police doughnut.

I feel something poking me continously and eventually a hand grabs me. I wake up frightened only to find Nadine hovering over me with Nik Nak crumbs falling on my face.

"What gives, why are you sleeping here?"

"Huh?" I ask disorientated because of the sun bursting through the curtains. As soon as I realise what's blinding me I shoot right up "What time is it?,
She picks up the remote and shows the time on the TV - 06:47, Fuck!"

"Mom!"

"I'm late, why haven't you bathed, why did you wake up late?"

"I think the real question here is why didn't you wake up, were you watching cartoons the whole night?"  
"Hmmm" she says as she narrows her eyes and I immediately know it's because I forbid cartoons after eight pm.

"Very funny, my shift started seventeen minutes ago, Nae go wash your face, brush your teeth, why are you eating Nik Naks my God! No time to bath just put on my roll on your class mates won't notice"
I say as I run into her bedroom and grab her uniform. Right after I run into the bathroom and spend 5 minutes in the shower while brushing my teeth. I immediately put on my uniform and take the gun out of my safe and put in my holster. I tie my hair very sloppy and put lotion on my face and hands.

"Let's go, you'll be fine with those Nik Naks until lunchtime"
It's so wrong but being late is even worse.
We jump into my yellow beetle and it annoys me even more because it's taking forever to start, I curse the day I decided to get this car. I make a mental note that I should ask for a government for a police car, I mean these are luxuries we should all be getting but this department is bloody slow.
I think frustratedly , until it finally starts. We leave at 07:20. I arrive at Nadine's school in 15 minutes, 5 minutes late not bad, supermom.

"Bye have a great day" I say and give her R10 as a signal to get out.

"Bye have a great day" she says back and hops out running to the school gate and a tall perky lady opens the gate for her I assume she works here. I give her an apologetic smile and she comes towards me. I roll my eyes I really don't need this right now. I can already tell she's a chatter box judging by her sunflower dress and pink blush with a smile that could heal the world.
She comes by and bends down to the passenger window.

"Hello mam are you Nadine's mother?"

"Yes, I'm actually in a rush. "
She looks at my uniform

"Oh I won't take much of your time I'm sure you have a lot of bad guys to catch" she says in a chirpy voice and I'm even more annoyed by her.

"I just wanted to say that we don't need late coming and-"
She goes on speaking while I check my phone 07:38 and 3 missed calls from Briccs. I'm officially one hour 8 minutes late. I decide I cannot stay here any longer especially when she starts handing me a form and a pen. I grab the form
"Okay thanks bye" I say as I speed off.

I reach a T-junction and one of the roads are blocked the boards say due to construction which is weird because the roads are perfectly fine. It just had to be my route they blocked. In a suburb like this what the hell needs construction anyway a Frickin miniature pothole, now I have to take the long way. A woman comes dressed in orange and green government construction clothing and she opens the road. She signals with her arm for me to come through. The three cars behind me are signalling to use the other route so I move in towards her.
"Hey, is it safe it says construction"

"Oh sorry about that you know they sent the wrong street name and we put this on the wrong road these things happen I'm just the assistant." she says. She has cornrows and a blindingly beautiful smile with 3 piercings on each ear and clear, dark skin. Her name tag reads "Sivvey" it's a bit weird but I guess it's unique. "

" Okay then you've got a nice name Sivvey" I say trying to be kind.

"Thank you, I'm sure you will remember it" she says. I drive off confused. I see her closing off the road again and that startles me a bit, If I had spidey senses they would be tingling right now. I'm driving on the route that has no houses around just grass and trees around me it's more of a peaceful shortcut. I take a look at my phone 07:45. When I look up I see someone wearing a grey hoodie throwing  thick sharp metal objects on the road.

"Hey!" I yell out hooting but he continues to litter them all over the ground.

"Idiot!" I yell I can't slow down in time and my car went over the pricks and my tyres burst. I couldn't steer my car as it was pulling to the side on this narrow road I try pressing down on my brakes and adding pressure to my steering wheel but nothing seems to be working. In a split second I have another huge van come from behind me, bumps me and pushes me into a tree. The airbag blows up into my face. I'm bleeding on the side of my head and I can't move my arm. I grow dizzy all I can see is that woman running towards me before I fall into darkness.

Rough morning huh? Please press that cute star on the corner of your screen 😁and don't be shy to comment. Anyway Happy Easter Weekend everyone! Even if we are on Lockdown 😔

Also Shout out to Phoebe Conrey for making me this awesome cover 🔥❤️