- 13 - Breakup

Taron

"Hey, you'll be fine" I hear her voice.

It soothes me that she is with me. The mother of my child.

I mumble something and scrunch my eyes close, but even that doesn't help me to block out the pain.

"It is all right, the ambulance will be here in a second" she says.

I want to hold her close, hug her, kiss her. But I can barely move.

I open my eyes ever so slightly to see her brown eyes looking into mine.

Her long brown hair.

I feel like I'm falling asleep and the last thing I see is her.

I sat up in bed, breathing shakily. It couldn't have been her who had been with me after the accident, right?

I was probably just processing what had happened. My hands on her belly, feeling the baby kick under her skin. It was so extraordinary and possibly the best moment of my life. Wait, scratch that. It was the best moment of my life.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up.

What I felt for her was way beyond what I should feel. But what were we to each other? We weren't friends, but we also weren't lovers.

I decided to call my best friend.

"Hi Taron" he answered

I chuckled "Hi Richard. How are things?"

He let out a breath "We're all good. Nia grows so fast I can hardly keep track"

I smiled.

He had a married the love of his life Sofie two years ago. Their daughter was now one year old. Something I could only dream of. The wife part, at least.

"You're so lucky mate" I said as I turned on the coffee maker.

"How are you though?" he asked "How is Milly?"

"She's good. I'm just not sure about myself. I dreamt of the accident again and it was her who was with me"

"What are you talking about?"

"It seemed so real, Rich! It was as if it was her" I still couldn't believe it.

"Maybe it was" he said

What were the odds?

"You know I don't believe in fate" How were we having that conversation?

"Taron" he said "You have been looking for her for a year after the accident. Trying to find out who she was and you were crushed when you couldn't find her"

I shrugged and sat down on the couch.

"Well I just wanted to thank her"

"Are you sure that is all?" he chuckled.

No, I knew that wasn't all. I had felt some kind of connection to her. Why did I feel so drawn to that woman and to Milly at the same time?

It made me think it had been her. Long brown hair, brown eyes. And damn, I couldn't get that face out of my head.

What I would do to hold her close again like we had. To show her the room I created for the baby. To be a real family who lived together and truly deeply loved each other.

Milly

I was out to run some errands and enjoyed the clear winter sky. I hated that I was on my own, but Josh had to work again.