Ch. 16 Birthday wishes

"Happy Birthday!"

I woke up to my mom and dad both in my room. It was still a little dark as I reached for the lamp beside my bed and turned it on. I saw them standing there with a tray of food.

Sitting up, my mom placed the tray in my lap and I looked down to see eggs, bacon, strawberries and chocolate milk.

Smiling up at them, I held onto the tray as I yawned. "Thank you."

"My baby girl is all grown up." My mom sat on the edge of the bed as my dad stood next to her. "You're nineteen. Gosh, where does the time go?"

My dad smiles at me as he places a hand on my mom shoulder. "Our baby is grown."

I made a face as I looked at them. "Don't get emotional. It's too early."

My dad chuckles as my mom stands up then leans over and kisses my head. "Hurry up and eat then get ready for school."

"Do I have to go today? It's my birthday." I smile as they were walking out the door.

Mom turns around to look at me. "Of course. You're not missing school. Plus, all your friends might have a present for you." She smiles.

"Now, Sabrina," My dad spoke as he was looking at mom. "maybe she can stay home just today."

My mom gave him a look before crossing her arms. "Johnathan, don't start. She never missed a day in her life, she's not starting now."

As mom walks out, my dad looks at me then shrugs. "I tried." He smiles. "Hurry up."

The door shuts and I look down at the food in my lap. I started eating as I was thinking today. I couldn't help but feel nerves in my stomach from the thought of Miss Morgan.

Let's hope today is good.

-

Mom wanted me to wear a birthday crown today but I refused. I didn't need that kind of attention and my birthday was not that big of a deal.

Nobody at school is even going to care.

"There's the birthday girl!" Ayden swoops me up in his arms then spins me around.

I started kicking my legs until he placed me on the ground. I pushed him back until I looked towards the building and saw Chase walk inside with his friends.

Looking back at Ayden, I adjusted my strap on my backpack. "It's just another day. Nothing special."

He swung his arm over my shoulder as we walked towards the building. "Don't say that. Nineteen years ago, the universe blessed me with my best friend."

Stopping at my locker, I look over at him. "Don't make me cry on my birthday."

Ayden can be the sweetest guy ever. But also the most annoying.

"I want to go get something different for lunch today. I'm buying whatever you want and I don't care what you say. It's your birthday and you need to be treated like a queen."

"What did I say!? Don't make me cry on my birthday!" I punched him in the arm and he laughed it off as he moved back.

"How does it feel to be older than me?" He asks, leaning against a locker

Leaning against mine, I shrug. "Same. Age doesn't really make you feel any different until you're in your forties or something, right?"

"Or until you start getting back pains and headaches."

"Everyone goes through that. Half of the teenagers go through that and even the people in their twenties. That doesn't mean you're getting older, just.. yeah I guess that's true."